please help me prepare...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Grynox

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
Although it is somewhat rare, occassionally I am forced to travel for my job. Since I recently started my first aquarium a few months ago, I was hoping it wouldn't happen for awhile.

But it has. I am going to have to be away from my home soon from a Sunday morning until the following Friday night (so like 5 days, give or take). And since I am a complete newbie at this, I don't know how to ensure the health of my aquarium livestock until I get back home.

Currently, all I have in my tank is a Bicolor Blenny, 2 Occ. Clowns, some hermits, and some snails.

I'm obviously not too worried about the hermits or snails...they take care of themselves.

The blenny doesn't take a whole lot of food from me since he sticks to eating algae growth in the tank for the most part. I do supplement with some frozen algae-based foods and nori but I am assuming that he will be fine for a few days without me.

But I feed the clowns 2-3 times per day (usually a diet that varies throughout any given week including Formula 1 flake, and frozen foods like mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, squid, San Fran Bay Marine Cuisine, and San Fran Bay Emerald Entree...they pretty much eat anything I try to give to them). How long can they go without food and remain healthy?

Would anyone recommend any of those slow release vacation feeder things? Or an electronic autofeeder? I guess, I'd just like to know how the longtime pros in this hobby handle being away from their fish and keeping them healthy....because as the date gets closer, I am beginning to freak out about how to properly handle the situation...

:help::help::help::help::help:

kryptic4l

AC Members
May 21, 2007
Antartica
me personally i wouldnt freak out about 5 days... as for the vacation feeders, i call them my girlfriend and my roommate :)

Grynox

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
me personally i wouldnt freak out about 5 days... as for the vacation feeders, i call them my girlfriend and my roommate :)
Haha :) I wish that could work...but my girlfriend is traveling with me. So they won't starve to death in 5 days?...(I think I would!)

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
To be honest, presuming things like lighting is on timers, i would not worry. Just give a good feed the day your leaving, and they will be fine. Remember, out in the ocean, meals are not readily available on a daily basis...Some can go for days on end before even getting a sniff of a meal....5 days is not really that long..

Of course, this is purely my own opinion...

Niko

Grynox

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
In terms of equipment, everything should be fine. My lighting is on timers. My skimmer has a drain fitting for overflow. A powerhead and a heater are on battery backup. Feeding was my last concern.

But it sounds like 5 days isn't even that long. Good to know :) That helps alleviate my stress a bit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store