Entertaining Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jlines

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Im thinking of getting a ~100g tank to fill with a school of cichlids that would be playful and entertaining to watch. Firemouth's look pretty cool.

Any thoughts?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
...or you could get one big, entertaining, personable cichlid species like a Jag!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
a school of discus.

jlines

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
i would want to get something small enough where i could have more than 1 fish so they could interact. Not sure if i could mix oscars and firemouths. I also dont want to worry about any of them breeding cause im under the impression that some fish will need to be alone in the tank for that. ive read that for oscars, not sure about fire mouths. either way i dont want to have to remove fish cause i wont have anywhere to put them

jlines

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
i also want something thats a little aggressive and will hunt down feeder fish on occasion, maybe thats a little sadistic but whatever, its nature.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you are going to be liited..you want schooling cichlids in a 100..that is going to trim the fish you can get.

many of the cichlids are not schooling. many are too big to have in multiples for a 100 g tank.

feeders. in general do not make good food for the Cichlids..and the schooling fish that will hunt feeders are relatively small so you would have to have small feeders.
any time you get a school of cichlids you run the risk of pairs forming.. in which case the 100 will get even smaller.

jlines

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
thanks for all the good info, im realizing that in general the fish i like the most are in fact not schooling fish, so i guess my desire to have a school is less important.

it also seems that i will have little control over breeding since i do want multiples of the same species

i would not have a problem sticking with a single species if that would make the tank more peaceful in the event of breeding

also, ive read that feeder fish are not a good staple diet, and that they increase the risk of spreading disease, etc it would just be an occasional thing

i found this list and am most interested in the medium aggressive category
http://www.bestfish.com/tips/111998.html

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
severums may be a good choice, especially if you are able to find several different colors. (green, gold, red-spotted gold, red shoulder.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store