50 ga tank for african cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
Hey, for those of you that remember me hi. and those of you that remember me and still hate me i dont care. All i have to say is that the admins might have forgotton a step with getting the new server. But anyways i need help becuase i want an african cichlid tank. I have a kist of all the fish's scientific names so i need to know which ones are suitable for a 50 ga or a 30 ga,maybe somewhere in between. But heres the list.
-Cynotilapia afra "mbamba
-Psuedotropheus Zebra("chilumba")("red-top")
-Psuedotropheus damasoni
-Psuedotropheus sp. "polit"
-Psuedotropheus saulosi(male)
-Aulonocara baenschi(male)
-Labidochromis caeruleus(male)
-Maylandia callainos
-Protomelas sp. "spilonatus Tanzania"
-Copadichromis azureus(male)
-Psuedtropheus flavus
-Psuedotropheus elongatus "Chewere"
-Aulonocara stuartgranti sp. "Cobue
-Aulonocara baenschi(male)
-Maylandia sandaracinos

Also what would the aproximate price be for a 50 gallon tank heavily decorated with rocks? I came up with $670.00

Last edited:

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
I will leave your main stocking question to our african hobbiest however I will say that you should be able to set the tank up for somewhere between 200-300 dollars. Shop around your local hardware store.

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
50??? 200-300??? wow,that is extremely cheap. I figured 80 for the stand. 70 for the tank.36 for the filter. 15X4 for the lights. 120 for the hood. 120 for the ballast. 50 for the rocks. 20 for the substrate. am i missing anything? Oh and the heater 15.

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
I wasn't figuring the price of the tank itself... however it wont make much difference.

Tank: 70
heater: 15
Filter: 36

now is where lowes/home depot come in handy
stand: 50 (a little more to paint.)
Hood: 20
(2) 48 inch shop lights: 20
(4) bulbs: 12
substrate: 5
rocks: 50 (should be less)

That should be about 260 bucks (it is a 48 inch tank right?) if not add a little more for lighting.

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
No,it would be like 36x17x15. Something around there. I would have a ton of rocks. and i guess i could go with the cheap setup for awhile until i get enouhg money to get the lights that i want. and what about the ballast?

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
They are part of the shop lights.
Here is the stand and hood for my 75 gallon that was done for the cost listed(the doors have not been completed and I haven't got around to putting the trim on hood. The five gallon tankin the stand is there for the winter(girlfriends dwarf puffers) . Its previous location is getting to cold . Sorry to get away from you main post. Maybe we should move any continued discussion to the equipment forum.

cheapstand.jpg

BigOh

African Rift Lake or bust
Aug 28, 2001
NY, USA
www.african.uklinux.net
If you want to be really successful w/ Africans do the following:

Get yourself at "least" a 48 x 18" tank. 72" long is even better.

Shop around for a used tank.

I just paid $125 for a 125g w/ glass tops and metal stand. I've also purchased a brand new 100g w/ stand and tops for $270.

I'm sure you could find a nice used 75g or up for a very competitive price. Even if you had to resilicone the seams ... it is still cheap.

If you want a fancy wood type stand .. just go build one. That is what I did for my 125g.

So ... considering you get a used tank for say $200. Filtration would be (2) Emperor 400's ... $80 for both @ bigalsonline.com. (1) Ebo Jager 200w heater is about $20 at the most ... same place as the filters. Lighting ... shop lights from Home Depot. Africans do not need fancy lighting and some do not appreciate bright lights ... we're talking $20 w/ bulbs.

Decorations ... go out hiking and find some river rocks. Different sizes and shapes .. flat and round ... small and large. They are the most natural looking ... as these are the type of rocks you find in the Rift Lakes. Best part ... FREE.

So now we are looking at around $320 for at least a 75g and up w/ filtration, glass tops, lighting, and heating. Toss in a few more bucks for building your own stand. What money you have left over can be for fish. ;)

Best advice ... Africans should have at least 48" of length. A width of 18" is also preferable because it allows for better aquascaping. These fish can be pretty aggressive and the extra room makes a HUGE difference. If you can fit one ... try and go for a 72" long tank .. you won't regret it.

Shop around for a used tank .. it is worth it !!

For the $600+ dollars you were going to spend .. you could get a MONSTER setup. ;)

Last edited:

Andy16

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Wisconsin
Visit site
Yes i know all of that but you see my mom wont let me get a big tank at all. She doesnt even like my 6 gallon. and a 50 gallon is going to be hard to get getting a 125 or a 75 is impossible. So im limited on what i can do with my fish tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store