Plant Substrate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gvildawg

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
Greenville, SC
www.myspace.com
Hard for many plants to root well in sand. I suggest Eco-Complete but that's just my personal preference.

gvildawg

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
Greenville, SC
www.myspace.com
I'm not saying that roots won't grow in sand but unless you have a substantial depth of sand then what are the roots going to bind to in order to anchor the plants? (That's assuming that the plants in question need to be rooted/anchored to something.) Wouldn't you need to help anchor them down with rocks, wood, etc.?

I'm not trying to start anything with you Mgamer. You are obviously much more experienced with this than I am. I'm more curious about how to make that work that anything else.

Last edited:

charlie4486

Charlie Murphy!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
I think your plants will do just as well in sand as in plant substrate. if it's available look for 3m colorquarts. it's used in pools and is a lot cheaper than lfs sand.

david13latham

AC Members
Jan 8, 2008
I am just using some dirty ol sand from home deopt haha.

Cleaning it of course
it will be about 90lbs of sand and more if i think i need more, i plan to buy plants from mg low light and later on med to high.

Plecosterone

We don't need no stinking badges!
Jan 25, 2007
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
home.cogeco.ca
My plants root way beter in sand than they ever did in gravel. I don't know how anyone can say otherwise. After using sand I would never go back to gravel. Much easier to clean and looks more natural IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store