What's the best powerheads to use in a reef tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jcono

AC Members
Mar 20, 2006
I like my maxi jets, however their output is very focused and I am currently trying to diffuse it to get a more even flow throughout my tank.

I'm thinking of switching to the hydors myself.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
For price/function the hydors can't be beat. I am partial to the Tunze 6055 for the flexibility it offers and you can change the flow. the 6045 isn't bad, just can't adjust the flow.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Despite having to return 3 Koralias (bad stock) I'd still recommend them. Apart from the mechanics of them I love the fact you get a longer cable with them as I find most powerheads come with short cables. They're also a lot quieter than most.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I've heard a lot of good things about Koralias, but never used them. Another thing to consider is a closed-loop system with an external pump, which is what I'm planning on doing to replace my powerheads.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I switched to Koralias after having used Maxi-Jets. The Koralias are definitely my preference.

vorlx

yadda yadda
Aug 30, 2007
Broken Arrow, OK
I've heard a lot of good things about Koralias, but never used them. Another thing to consider is a closed-loop system with an external pump, which is what I'm planning on doing to replace my powerheads.
I tried to go this route but just couldn't justify the pump I would need to come close to what the power heads were producing. I built a closed loop with a Mag 9.5 w/scwd wavemaker but really need at mag 18 to have it be at the level I wanted.

kcress

AC Members
Apr 9, 2005
A point most don't realize about centrifugal pumps, used for closed loop systems, is that they are so violent internally that any small life that gets run thru them dies. Pods, most algae, etc. I suspect something like an in tank Koralias is less lethal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store