I Think my 55g oddball has ick!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clawlan

Don't harass the sea turtles!
Dec 29, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I went through ick once on my 28g tropical. I squashed it using the temp raise + non iodized salt method. This morning I was checking out my 55 and I see many very tiny white spots on my ropefish and large adult cichlid. The others are unaffected. I assume this is ick. Is it safe to sue the temp raise/salt method with these guys? I also have some bichirs in this tank (see signature). Also, what concentration salt solution do you recommend?

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Salt and heat should be fine. Just watch for signs of gasping in the o2 deprived environemnt. You may need to add an air stone or increase the surface agitation of the tank to get better gas exchange.

clawlan

Dec 29, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Salt and heat should be fine. Just watch for signs of gasping in the o2 deprived environemnt. You may need to add an air stone or increase the surface agitation of the tank to get better gas exchange.
Ye,a i already added two air stones.

On another note, i wonder if not having enough O2 in the water lead to stressing the fish and thus getting ich. I have an xp3 cannister filter and the flow rate decreases every day until there is barely a weak flow coming out of the outtake tube. I have determined that the problem is the Black Tahitian moon sand that i use as a substrate is sucked into the filter and decreases the flow. That stuff has been the bane of my existence! So when I do this weeks water change, i am scooping all that crap out and just going to use black pebbles. $60 down the drain. :angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::angryfire::wall::wall:

guitarkev13

help the cause donate to EZLN
Jun 17, 2007
ive never had a problem with my black moon sand...

clawlan

Dec 29, 2006
Atlanta, GA
ive never had a problem with my black moon sand...
Well, i have two big issues with it. One is that it get sucked up my filter. Everytime I open the filter up to investigate the cause of the limited flow rate, its packed with that sand. After I clean it out, it works great. It takes about a week for it to go from strong flow to almost no flow. The second issue that I have is that i can really get it that clean when using my vacuum. If I stick the python in the sand, it sucks all the sand out instead of all the debris. Its just a total mess, I can't stand it. If anybody wants it, I'm in the Lexington, KY area.

clawlan

Dec 29, 2006
Atlanta, GA
alright, added the salt and upped the temp. Seems only the large cichlid and ropefish are the only ones affected. I think the ropefish would like a friend. Might have to go pick him up a companion

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
alright, added the salt and upped the temp. Seems only the large cichlid and ropefish are the only ones affected. I think the ropefish would like a friend. Might have to go pick him up a companion
I wouldn't get a new fish until ich is sorted out. Quarantine the new fish when you do get one.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store