have you ever seen your mystery snail do this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

janetdc1

AC Members
Aug 25, 2007
web.me.com
My newest mystery snail has quite a bit of personality, and "skated" upside down when I put a few flakes of fish food in there for her- yep-she slowly reached backwards until her entire foot was flat and facing the ceiling-she was doing the back float-then she folded her foot slightly inward on the edges,and got the flake to land right in the middle of the foot, then she reached forward
with her mouth and ate it. All this floating upside down-
I've seen them do the funnel thing- but never completely detach themselves from the aquarium wall to do the flat footed floaty thing- it was amazing, actually!
Just sharing-
i was a little disappointed with this snail because she was advertised as "lemon yellow" which I'd never heard of- but the picture in the ad looked amazing and since I couldn't find any purple or magenta ones, I thought I'd try a yellow one. It is exactly the same as my gold snail-so... anyway, she is still a cool addition to the happy snail family.:)
Janet

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
did you get a pic? I have seen my snails do the upside down floating thing, and the funnel thing, but i don't think both at once. But i do feed all sinking foods as they are alone in their tank.

janetdc1

AC Members
Aug 25, 2007
web.me.com
did you get a pic? I have seen my snails do the upside down floating thing, and the funnel thing, but i don't think both at once. But i do feed all sinking foods as they are alone in their tank.
Oh I WISH i could get a pic! I finally figured out my hubby's camera and went to take some pics and of course the battery was dead!LOL!
I hope to get it all set for this weekend so I can post pics of my snail tanks-

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
My newest mystery snail has quite a bit of personality, and "skated" upside down when I put a few flakes of fish food in there for her- yep-she slowly reached backwards until her entire foot was flat and facing the ceiling-she was doing the back float-then she folded her foot slightly inward on the edges,and got the flake to land right in the middle of the foot, then she reached forward
with her mouth and ate it. All this floating upside down-
I've seen them do the funnel thing- but never completely detach themselves from the aquarium wall to do the flat footed floaty thing- it was amazing, actually!
Just sharing-
i was a little disappointed with this snail because she was advertised as "lemon yellow" which I'd never heard of- but the picture in the ad looked amazing and since I couldn't find any purple or magenta ones, I thought I'd try a yellow one. It is exactly the same as my gold snail-so... anyway, she is still a cool addition to the happy snail family.:)
Janet
I have caught mine doing this a couple of times if they're really hungry.. but normally they don't.

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Snails will often create a "bowl" with their bodies to siphon water in and grab floating food particles. I've generally seen this while they hang on to the wall of the tank, but there's no reason that they shouldn't be able to do both.

AndiPants

AC Members
May 25, 2007
Canada
hehe my apple snail Hermie loves to come up for treats. usually when he is along the surface of the water i will put in some flake by him and he will stretch out and funnel. i only have horrible cell phone pictures....

pics 010.jpg pics 012.jpg post.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store