Thermocol Internal Background

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi Friends,

I just got a few sheets of Internal 3d Backgrounds for my new 4 feet tank. Just wanted to request for some advice regarding it-

These sheets that I've bought are pure black, rock like 3d shapes made out of the common Thermocol sheets. The dealer adviced that I were to paste these sheets on Aquarium's background using the Silicone sealent.

Just wanted to know if these were perfectly safe for the aquarium and is it ok to use them. (Is thermocol perfectly water-safe ? ) I mean as they go internal and as they are stuck permanently, are the feasable to use ?

Also what is the best method to stick these internal backgrounds perfectly ? Kindly help me.

Kindly advice and guide me a little on this friends (as I'm going to start my tank setup in a few hours)

Thanks !
Kush

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Friends it will be a great help if somebody could advice a little on this...

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Most people are asleep right now unfortunately. What is a Thermocool Sheet? I tried searching it, but no pictures come up. What is it made out of is the question that needs to be answered. If it's anything that will rust, rot, or leech into the water, it would be a bad idea to put it in the tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Got a link?

gpaaib

AC Members
Jan 15, 2008
Irvine, California
All I was able to find on this product is:

"This sheet is used for packing materials to avoid breakage" is made of plastic and manufactured in India.

Hmmm?

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi Friends !

Thanks for the replies ! Sorry for the delay in replying.

Thermacol is a White - Foam-like thing which is very common here in India. I really dont know what its called in other countries or regions.

Its the thing which is used to pack almost all the Electronic things in their boxes (like TV, Computer parts etc...) Its also used in box forms to transport certain medicines and injections that are to be kept at freezing levels (I guess its bad conductor of heat then ?)

I just found this pic in google-images... Kindly see if anybody can figure out what this is and if its safe for underwater use.

Actually the backgrounds that I've bought are from a Aquarium company called 'Dymax' I guess...

Please help me friends !

thermocole1.jpg

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
Hi friends

I guess its called Expanded Polystyrene ? The one which is White-spongy and granular (small granules fused together)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
If you are buying pre-made backgrounds made of these, I am sure they are fine.

Have a link to what you are buying?

nagukush

AC Members
Jan 1, 2008
I guess its called Expanded Polystyrene ? The one which is White-spongy and granular (small granules fused together)
Hi there !

Thanks again for the reply and for caring. So is this thermocol called polystyrene ? I mean are they the same thing then ? Spongy solid foam that looks like its made of small fused balls ?

Kindly advice as I'm really getting confused here ?

If these are safe, then what will be the best way to fix them ? Can I use the normal aquarium sealant ? How much time for drying ( i.e before I add water) etc ?

Kindly advice...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store