Red Africans?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

keiferd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
LI,NY
Visit site
Hey I just upgraded my african tank and I would like to add a few more fish. Can you give me some suggestions on a fish that is a relatively monotonous red color? Peacocks seem too dull in color (well at least in my area) and ruby reds just seem orange to me. Also are there any africans that are green in color? Right now I have 3 elongatus, 3 yellow labs, 2 albino socofoli, 1 albino peacock, and 1 calvus/comp. I have plenty of blue,yellow, and white and I would like to mix it up a little. Any suggestions? pix would be cool. :headbang2:

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
or at petco they have a very beautiful blue african in the assorted african tank.

losthere

AC Members
Jan 25, 2005
Have you even googled peacocks and taken a look at some of the colors that they have?? they are probably the brightest colored freshwater fish you could buy. Red zebras look like goldfish, and are on every street corner. If you cant get peacocks in your area what about aquabid, tnt cichlids, cichlids r us, etc. Google images of sunshine peacocks, eureka red (and its abino species), rubin red or german red, lemon jake, the list goes on and on. I dont know how these could be dull in color. Peacocks do start out dull then in a few months as they get bigger and more dominate in the tank their colors get intense, depending on the species, dont let a juvenile fool you.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
The Eureka and Germans are some of my favorite red Africans. How old are the Peacocks you're looking at? They take some time to get their full coloration, and many males will remain subdued if there is a dominant male in their presence. Jewel cichlids can be very red in color but may not make it in your tank with the mbuna. The Peacocks should be fine but I'd be careful, nothing worse than your $5 socofoli killing your $25 Peacock.

keiferd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
LI,NY
Visit site
well The 2 LFS in my area sell juvenile and full grown peacocks. The juvies are very bland and I can't tell if they,re hybrid muts. And the adults are a little bit more colorful but they are also in a tank with tropheus so I don't blame them. The other LFS sells them for like 60$ a piece and I'm still not impressed with the coloration. I'll try to buy them online, but you really can't trust pictures, I'd like to see them in person.

losthere

AC Members
Jan 25, 2005
Man i need to start selling peacocks in your area! I can get fully colored males +4" for $25. These peacocks are very nice reds, blues, sunshines, as well as others. Waiting for pecocks to color up takes patience but is well worth it. Just feed a lot and grow them out faster.

keiferd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
LI,NY
Visit site
Well If you're willing to ship them I'll pay for it, but I'd like to see a pic of the the exact fish I'm getting. PM me if your interested. Thanx.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store