Synodontis petricola question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Syn. Petricola Question???

Petricola question here:

I have a 20 gallon with 10 petricolas and I have a 60 gallon tank with 3 petricolas. I would like to reduce the bioload on the 60 gallon. would the 3 petricola be happier in the 60 gallon or with the 10 other petricolas in the 20 gallon? I hear they like to with their own kind.

In the 60 gallon, there is not many hiding places and has LARGE fish. No problems with the interaction.... .

In the 20 gallon, LOTS of hiding places and has serpae tetras and 2 albino bristlenose plecos. There are 10 petricolas in there now.

So, would they be happier in a 20 gallon (smaller environment with a anti-hostile fish) or in larger tank with large fish and few hiding places?

Im trying to reduce the Bioload on my 60 gallon tank. Would taking out 3 3inch catfish reduce it?

Thanks!!

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
That twenty will be grossly overcrowded as it is. Petricolas get up to 4.5 inches. Thirteen fish this size in that tank is way to much. These thirteen would be much happier in the 60 gallon tank. These are active fish that need room. What else is in the 60? Sounds like you need less fish or more tanks.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Not overcrowded unless you can't handle the bioload,10 petricolas in the 60,3 in the 20.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
What are the large fish in the 60? If they won't predate on the petricola, I think the synos would be much better off in the large tank. Ten petricola in a 20 is way too many, IMO.

Jim

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I was at the LFS today and they were selling FULL grown petricola's for $59.99 I had NO idea they get THAT big. I say them at 4 inches. All I can say is WOW! 10 in a 20 gallon is WAY to many at that size.. However, they do grow slowely, so by the time they need to move out of the 20 gallon tank (a few years?), I would be able to add them to the 60 gallon (when some of the other fish die off).

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
You are not counting on the tinfoils dying off that soon, are you? How old are they now? You know personally how long they live and how big they get. Why not start planning and saving for a larger tank; then you'd have more options (and your fish will love you for it).
happy holidays
judy

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Actually some of my other fish. But it looks like I may trade in my Dist affinis because If I skip feedings to lower the amount of Nitrates, they will nip the fins of my other fish.

Bigger Tank would be the answer. I would buy one through the classifieds. Money is not the issue. However, I live in a 2nd floor apartment and I dont think the flooring will hold a tank over 60 gallons. As of now, I have a 60, 20, 10 gallon tanks. She didnt like it when I got my 60 gallon tank. So, when i buy my home..then i will buy a larger tank....

aquariaddictus

occasional user
Aug 17, 2002
STL MO
That's a shame, because you know it's not the weight of the water, but the possibility of a leak that is probably on her mind. I think of my 125 (in the dining room) as the equivalent of having four 300 pound linebackers standing there at a party, so weight on the floor isn't the issue. Now if the thing decides to spring a leak, I'm in big trouble..........................
j

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store