Paradise Fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Hello,

I have a paradise fish in a 10 gallon partially planted/ partially rift tank. He has a Masked Julie and a common pleco which also reside in the aquarium with him. During the day he is very spazy and scares easily. He often 'freaks out' when I walk by the tank. However, in the morning and at night he acts like a normal paradise fish. I've checked the water qualities, everythings fine. The tank is unheated and stays are 76 degrees in the summer... do any of you know whats wrong with him?

delmore

AC Members
Dec 2, 2001
New Jersey
www.uaru-forum.com
My paradise fish begs for food when I'm around, and is not not high strung or timid like my pearl gourmis and dwarf gouramis. So I guess the behavior among paradise fish varies.

In case you missed a different thread, here's my 5.5 g with a paradise fish:

http://www.wu7.net/users/photos/paradisefish02.jpg

There is an AQmini with sponge media, and florescent screw in lighting. The plant on the left was picked at by the fish, until there was almost nothing left. I planted it in a different tank and it is coming back. The plant on the right is some kind of bog plant, which I'll problably get rid of. I placed a stock of it in a cup of water several days ago, and it is still alive without being submerged.

Since that photo was taken, i've added floating wisteria and duckweed.

Question: in a 5.5 gallon my with dense plant growth (I'll add more floating plants - water sprite, etc) could I add a female paradise fish?

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Yeah, I've had him for a year now. He started out in a 3 gallon, this march I moved him into a ten. I'm working on getting the tank more planted, maybe that will straighten him out.

Katz

AC Members
Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
I have read the article, and he talks mostly about how the fish were less aggressive than he thought they would be and his efforts tracking down a wild pair to breed in captivity. He also talks about their mating habits and how the fish started courting immediately when reunited after a short separation for observation of a growth on the female.

He also says that they are very alert, intelligent fish, so maybe more plants to hide in and "play" with would work...

If you would like a full translation, let me know.

diptankguy

AC Members
Apr 30, 2003
New York
Visit site
I have 5 of these paradise fish in my heavily planted 10 gallon. They are not at all shy, on the contrary they are always near my hand when i try to trim my plants and stuff. And as soon as i come near to the tank they will come out from their hiding places, i guess that is coz they think i am going to give them some food.

I initially thought that i made a wrong choice by keeping them together but they are fine. The only time they pick on each other or chase each other is when i feed them otherwise they live in harmony.

I guess all of them are different. But i enjoy mine. They are the only inhibitants in my 10g.

delmore

AC Members
Dec 2, 2001
New Jersey
www.uaru-forum.com
Originally posted by diptankguy
I have 5 of these paradise fish in my heavily planted 10 gallon.
How long have you had them/how large are they? I've read that juveniles can get along, but as they get older males fight, but not to the extent of betta splendins.

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I've read several places that males will fight similiar to Betta Splendens, however, it will not be to the death. They will establish a pecking order which they will all follow. I find that you can do the same with B. splendens.

However, I forgot to mention some things. First off, he used to be as all you described. Boisturous and happy to see me and he still is like that in the morning and at night. So I am thinking that maybe my light is a little on the bright side. This should be cured by the time I have a good amount of plants.

He hasn't been like this for very long, so I'm hoping that it's just a phase and that I can 'cure' it.

Thank you all for your input, I very much appreciate it :)!

fredfish

AC Members
Aug 1, 2003
Visit site
maybe if you add another one he will feel comfortable, although i have heard they fight when they get older i have a friend who manages to keep two in a 20 gallon or is it a 29 gallon, not really planted but a lot of ornaments, i mean they arent exactly betta's so ya never know what you may get away with right

PumaWard

Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
I'll try that. I have a very young albino one in my 75 (he's maybe 2in. in length), but I am going to wait until he's a bit bigger than the julie (which won't take long). The julie can be very nasty when he wants to be, but usually doesn't pick on larger fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store