PH for blue peacock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
The pH should be higher, but don't raise it too quickly at once. I use baking soda to raise/buffer the pH for my Africans. I'd start with 1/2 tsp/gallon daily to break the buffer and start raising the pH until you reach 8.2, which is the max baking soda will raise the pH. After that point is reached, you can use more to maintain the level. I use 2 Tbsp/5 gallons when I do partials on my tanks.

Beowulff83

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Wellington Oh,
doh just thought of something, i have driftwood in the tank, wouldnt this keep my ph low no matter if i kept adding baking soda? Should i consider adding some crushed coral to counter act the driftwood?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Baking soda will raise the KH (carbonate hardness) which is what stablilzes the pH. Regular partial water changes with baking soda added to the fresh water will keep the pH constant. Crushed coral will only maintain the pH around 7.4-7.6, though it will riase the gH (general hardness) of the water.

MiramichiMob

AC Members
Aug 6, 2007
Miramichi, NB, Canada
I would be very careful with baking soda. Although it does raise ph, it isn't done gradual,,even if u are doing it with partial water changes. It is very hard to judge how much to put in. Crushed coral is probably the best way,,by putting it in your filter, because it is gradual.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store