What does duck weed look like?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Manix

Local Psychopath
Jan 3, 2002
Bristol/TN/USA
Visit site
I saw someone mention it in another thread. When I do a search all I get are articles on killing it. Does somebody know where I can see a pic of this stuff or have a pic they could post?

GobyGuy5

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Petsolutions.com sells the stuff, if you look for it there, you'll find a pic (greatly magnified) ;)

Manix

Local Psychopath
Jan 3, 2002
Bristol/TN/USA
Visit site
GROOVY!
Thats what I thought it looked like but never knew the name.

I was looking for a floating plant to encourage my male betta to make a bubble nest. I have a strong current in my tank so he doesn't have a stable area to put one. I thougth plants might help.
What do you think? BTW My tank is low light and I want some anubis later on. Is this stuff very hard to control? I wouldn't want it to prevent too much light from reach the lower plants.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
When I had duckweed in my main tank, it would grow so thick that it covered the entire surface of the tank in a week. I would scoop out cups of the stuff each water change. When I started supplementing CO2, the underwater plants took off and the duckweed died off--completely. I still have a few bits in other tanks with no CO2, but nothing as bad as in my 40. It really depends on the available nutrients.

There are a couple of floating plants like duckweed--frogbit, and one I can't recall right now. Salvinis? Maybe...Anyway, they don't get as out of control as duckweed, even when nutrients are plentiful, IME.

SBA

AC Members
Mar 25, 2003
Birmingham, UK
Visit site
Salvinia natans? I have it in my low-light tank and it grows enough to need thinning out weekly. It grows better with more light but looks good IMO anyway.

here's a link to a picture.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Ah! Yep, that's the stuff. Thanks SBA--This week I am working with a reptiles and amphibians document, and all that came to mind was Rana pipiens...Not the same thing at all. :D

Manix

Local Psychopath
Jan 3, 2002
Bristol/TN/USA
Visit site
Thanks, I'm gonna do some more looking around. If it covers the surface in a week, my under water plants wouldn't get any light at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store