Yes or no..?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Can Malawis and Tanganyikas go together if they're raised as Juvies??

erin14

Canadian, Eh?
Aug 7, 2007
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
Okay, heres some I like that may do okay:

Orange Leleupie ( Neolamprologus leleupi)
Marlieri (Julidochromis marlieri)
Duboisi (Tropheus duboisii)
Tretocephalus (Lamprologus tretacephaleus)
Gold Head Compressicep (Altolamprologus compressicep)
Gold Sexfasciatus (Neolamprologus sexfasciatus)
Moorii (Tropheus moorii)
Dickfeldi (Julidochromis dickfeldi)

Those are the ones that I like the most, hopefully some could work??? Any input would be appreciated.

keiferd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
LI,NY
Visit site
I've had a baby gold head comp. In my mbuna tank for a few weeks. He is by far the smallest in the tank and no one messes with him. he's under 1" in a tank with 3" enlongatus' which are extremely vicious to all my other mbunas. The comps grow very fast though. I also added 2 Neolamprologus cylindricus a few days ago and I'm not having any problems thus far.

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
Personally I wouldn't mix any tang shell dwellers with mbuna, because of their size difference and aggression levels, I'd also be cautious mixing l. tretocephalus with either mbuna or shellies, because they can get very territorial, although it might work, just as the mbuna might work with tropheus species.

P.S. They might appear peaceful while juvies, but as soon as they hit sexual maturity it will more than probably be a different story.

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
I've had a baby gold head comp. In my mbuna tank for a few weeks. He is by far the smallest in the tank and no one messes with him. he's under 1" in a tank with 3" enlongatus' which are extremely vicious to all my other mbunas. The comps grow very fast though. I also added 2 Neolamprologus cylindricus a few days ago and I'm not having any problems thus far.
It's not a good idea to mix comps or calvus in mbuna tanks. They are incompatible in terms of diet, and the aggression/activity level of mbunas is stressful for the altolamps. Add on to that the slow growth rate of the compressiceps, and you can have disaster.

keiferd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
LI,NY
Visit site
they may have different diets but are not incompatible. They all eat NLS cichlid formula vigorously.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
If you want to try this mix I would go with Peacocks or Haps from Malawi, maybe Yelloq Labs ( Maybe! ), and robust Tangs like Trets, Julidichromis, Brichardi, OLDER Calvus, ( these guys grow so slowly the Malawis would be much larger much quicker ), gold sexfasciatus, etc... there are many that should work. Don't expect to find the right mix or take this list as a sure thing. All fish are individuals, and some mixes work while others don't. I keep a JacobFriedbergi Peacock and a female yellow Lab with my Tangs and all is well for the most part. Keep an extra tank on hand just in case and expect some disputes as the fish work out the pecking order. Let them do this within reason. Chasing and circling is acceptable. Major fin loss and constant harassment is not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store