35 gallon hex stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

C98Hall

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
Hey all, I have a 35 gallon hexagonal aquarium that is currently empty :( I already have a 20 long and a 10 gallon community tanks, so I was thinking about doing cichlids. I would prefer to go with some of the Lake Tangwhatsitcalled fish, preferably the rock dwellers, the julies.

However, I would like some stocking suggestions. I read if I pile rocks all the way up to the top they may utilize the whole tank, but with the footprint of the hex I am worried that I would lose most of the open swimming area with a stack that big. Can I put some other fish to occupy the upper levels of the tank?

Thanks in advance.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
You could put some fish that occupy open water in the upper levels but they couldn't be from lake tanganyika.

Hex stockings are tricky, especially when lots of rockwork is involved.

You could try a trio of shell dwellers (I suggest n. multifasciatus) and a pair of julidochromis and see how that works out. It may not seem like a lot of fish but remember that they are cichlids and their behavior is unpredictable and therefore need more space for territories. Also, most Tangs breed very easily without notice to the aquarium owner so space can get cramped quickly...

C98Hall

AC Members
Oct 3, 2006
I figured I wouldn't be able to do a true biotope tank, but hey I live in MS, not like we have a lot of native African cichlids anyways.

Will shell dwellers do fine with a larger gravel substrate? Really, I am not opposed to having just a few fish, as my 20 long neon tetra tank has plenty of movement. If I did the shell dwellers and the rock dwellers should I still do something at the upper level or just leave it cichlids only?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I figured I wouldn't be able to do a true biotope tank, but hey I live in MS, not like we have a lot of native African cichlids anyways.

Will shell dwellers do fine with a larger gravel substrate? Really, I am not opposed to having just a few fish, as my 20 long neon tetra tank has plenty of movement. If I did the shell dwellers and the rock dwellers should I still do something at the upper level or just leave it cichlids only?
Most shell dweelers pretty much need sand. My multies insist on digging it up. Some even go barebottom but Im not a big fan of it. Gravel may work but its not really preferred.

Look into pool filter sand, play sand, or silica sand. All cheap and dont look that way either when in aquariums.

Smaller rainbows might be an option (praecox, ect.) however the hex part limits it as I mentioned earlier. The length is really what is important to the schoolers. Livebearers may work but I would personally find them a distraction. In my 55 I have multies and julies. About the upper 2/3 of the tank is unoccupied. While I hope to fill it up soon there is nothing wrong with it now ;):)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store