Mixed Africans

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mrhirsch

AC Members
Jan 29, 2008
When a store has a tank of fish labled as mixed africans are they talking about many different types or mixed breeding? I am putting together a tank of Africans and I am looking for lots of different colors.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
When a store has a tank of fish labled as mixed africans are they talking about many different types or mixed breeding?
Unfortunately, often times, both different species AND hybrids all lumped together. If you're fortunate you may find a tank with just assorted species such as the above poster's LFS.

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
You're better off paying more for specific species which at least have a better chance of being pure, rather than trying your luck with the assorted/mixed africans.

AfroCichlid

AC Members
Jan 10, 2008
Fort Myers, FL
Right. If you're talking about PetSmart, Petco, or some other large chain store you're likely looking at mixed species AND breed. There is no one to talk to about the pedigree of the fish and you'll never know if they're a pure breed, and thus should never breed and distribute the offspring yourself. Better to find a trusted LFS or shop online if you're interested in breeding. If not, hybrids can be attractive sometimes and should make fine pets.

Debra Mark

Wench Boots!
Sep 29, 2004
Canada
Real Name
I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
I've also found that more often than not, 'Mixed Africans' or 'Assorted Africans' also means that they just don't know what they are. If you find some that you really like, there's no real reason not to get them, as long as you are not planning on getting rid of any of the fry that may ensue. Our tank is filled with hybrids and mutts, but they will never leave our possession.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Doesn't everyone have a mutt tank of african cichlids...???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store