future tank stock

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

40galreefman

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
i will be ordering my live rock and sand in the next few weeks, and was thinking of my future stock in the tank, it is a 37 gal, 260w pc,

70-80 lbs. live rock
clean-up crew
2 black and white clowns
1 bangai cardinal
1 lawnmower blenny
and down the road green spotted mandarin

does this sound good or should i switch 1 or more, any input is appreciated, oh yeah and pleanty of corals, all cash permitting!!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Only one of concern is the mandarin. You either have to have a very well established refugium, or spend $30 every 2 days for bottles of Tiggerpods or something similar. In my opinion, they are just to hard to care for (and I have a mandarin). It is the only fish that I have to carefully feed and watch over.. The spotted ones (Target mandarin) is supposed to be a little easier than the normal one but I am not sure what that really means.

The other fish in your list seem fine although I suggest just swapping out the mandarin for 1 or 2 more cardinals as they like to live in schools vs alone.

40galreefman

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
i undertand that with the mandarin when i said down the road i meant waaaaay down the road, maybe sometime next year, but i will take that into consideration, any other suggestions for other tank mates or do you thin that'll be getting a lil bit crowded?

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
no, I have waaay more fish than that in my 29g without problems.. just make sure you get small fish. Don't get any big angels or tangs.

Other fish... oh man there are so many. I like the potters angel for a dwarf angel. I also like yellow.. yellow watchman goby, yellow clown goby, yellow coris wrasse to name a few that are in my tank.

I understand the lure of the mandarin.. took me 4 years until I thought I was ready.. and I still wasnt. It is living and eating pods and blood worms.. but it was really skinny when I bought it and it is only slightly better 6 months later. It swims all over and seems happy.. but always looks hungry.

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
i disagree a bit with adding too many more fish. i have 3 in my 29g and 5 in my 37g and think that's just about right for both tanks. i think your stock list sounds good. i'd add the cardinal first, followed by the clowns then adding the blenny when you have a bit of algae for him to munch on. if you are set on getting the mandarin just make sure you are able to care for it! you could probably add another fish as well but i wouldn't add more than 6 personally...

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Well, I have 13 fish in my 29g and only lost 1 in 5 years due to a heat wave. If you know what your doing and have a good sump/refugium setup you can get a way with a lot more. Plus doing 5G a day in water changes helps also.

40galreefman

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
my sump is uge probably about 30 gal with all three chambers, so i'm sure i'll have enough water volume and turnover, i'm just really hoping for a lively and exotic looking tank, i have been waiting over a year to finally do this so i'm really starting to get anxious thanx for the input tho, anyone else any suggestions for some lively and nice looking fish?

40galreefman

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
and i would also loike to put a watchman goby in there too, so how does that list sound?

2 paired black and white clowns
2 or 3 bangaii cardinals
1 lawnmower blenny
1 watchman goby
and waaaaaaay down the road a green spotted mandarin
that would total out to 7-8 fish for the whole aquarium(without the mandarin!) too much or does that sound about right?:confused:

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Here is my fish list in my tank:

Cherub Pygmy Angel
Maroon Clown
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Filament Flasher Wrasse
Blue Bar Psuedo
Lawnmowner Blenny
2x Yellow Clown Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby
Blue Spot Goby
Engineer Goby
Mandarin Goby
Gumdrop Coral Croucher

Also a japanese pistol shrimp and cleaner shrimp (both living in my tank for 2+ years now!), 30+ hermits and snails. Plus a whole list of corals. I just picked up a Bali Green Slimer SPS frag from a reef club member yesterday.

I will be getting rid of my anemone and maroon clown in the next month though. The anemone takes up way to much real estate in my tank and kills to many corals. I want to really get into SPS corals now so it has to go. The maroon clown, even though it was my first fish in the reef, has never been a favorite of mine. I don't think I will replace him with another fish when I get rid of him.

40galreefman

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Buffalo, NY
what a great list of fish, must be great to just sit and watch them, however i don't thnk i'll be able to do 5 gal WC's a day but at least 10 a week, but i'm sure i'll be able to keep everything in order once it's up and runing, and i'm sure if i have any problems there's plenty of people here to give me a hand when needed, man i love this place:grinyes: n e ways ace i'd love to see a pic of ur tank if u got one. thanks for ur words also

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store