african cichlid help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blue_convicts

Banned
Sep 4, 2007
hi i just wanted some information in general about my africans...
the fish i have are in my signature
thanks!!!

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
The african cichlids listed in your signature:
4 giraffe cichlids
2 colbalts
4 yellow labs
4 johannis
3 Chipokaes

Your africans are types of mbunas, with the exception of the giraffes (which are Nimbochromis venustus, a type of malawi 'hap').

Chipokaes are probably the most (or will eventually become the most) aggressive cichlids in your tank, especially the males (which will undergo a color transformation and become dark colored fish with a light colored horizontal stripe as they mature). They may also be among the most aggressive type of mbunas around (a contender, at least). Male chipokaes tend to have little to no tolerance for other male chipokaes.

Johannis are a members of the same genus as chipokaes and can also be aggressive (but not to the degree which chipokae's can be). Johanni's start out as yellowish fish. The females retain this pattern while males become black with blue horizontal stripes. They're similar to the electric blue johanni (with the exception that in the latter, both species are black with blue horizontal stripes).

Cobalt Blue Zebras are member of the metriaclima genus. They're aggressive enough to hold their own with the above species. Most zebras tend to be motivated to be among the dominant fish in the tank.

Yellow Labs are mildly aggressive or even peaceful when compared to the other species. Males can be aggressive with each other, but as a species they usually tend not to bother other non-labidochromis mbunas. With the above roster, they'll be subordinate tank mates.

Venustus will probably be dominated by members of the first three species, though in a different set up venustus can be aggressive in their own right, especially male vs. male. Of all the species you have, the giraffes will grow the fastest and attain the largest size (maxing out at about 10 or 11 inches; or about 25cm). Based on their size potential and active swimming nature, they'll eventually require a larger tank (125gal+). Ideally they shouldn't be kept with mbunas. Also, venustus' are ambush predators and thrive best on a high protein diet and may consume smaller fish. This is opposite from the mbuna's you have which are herbivores and thrive on a low-protein plant-based diet.

blue_convicts

Banned
Sep 4, 2007
well i can put in some feeder fish for them :)
and the johannies i have are all blue and tiny.... i saw one that was turning yellow in the fishstore but she was too big for the other fish,
my cobalts aren't the striped ones though!!!!
i think i have 2 boy yellow labs and one girl cuz they have black on their bottom fins and they are 1/3 her size now and they were all the same size
one of the chipokaes is getting a brown face the biggest they seem to be getting along good!!!!
well thaaks a lot!!!!!!!!

blue_convicts

Banned
Sep 4, 2007
how long does it take fry to grow?

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
...well i can put in some feeder fish for them
It would be best to not do that, most of the cichlids you have are primarily herbivorous and won't benefit from feeder fish.

....the johannies i have are all blue and tiny.... i saw one that was turning yellow in the fishstore but she was too big for the other fish, my cobalts aren't the striped ones though!!!!
The cichlid you saw "turning yellow" either wasn't a johanni or was a johanni transforming from yellowish to blue/black (johanni's are born yellowish). You may have electric blue johanni's (which are born blue-ish).

Also cobalt blue zebras (metriaclima callainios) aren't striped.

As for growth rate, it will vary depending on species, diet and general care. Are your fish fry? What size are they?

blue_convicts

Banned
Sep 4, 2007
they aren't fry i am trying to pair them off mi mine are all blue (Johannies)
i have non striped cobalts.... let me send u a link to a picture.... i read they were put in to 2 different species
i have had cichlids before the ones that i am new to are the cobalts, i have had one of each kind before but now i am trying to get them to breed in my big tank and then i will move the mother into a 5 to 10 gallon tank with food that is 50 % protein how fast should the babies grow?
http://www.mit.edu/~lxs/cichlids/blue-cobalt.html
there is the link to a picture of the cobalt i have
also i just got 3 kenyis.... but looking at them closer i think i have 2 kenyis and one cobalt zebra the striping is different its more abundant and the kenyis coloring is brighter

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
...i am trying to pair them off...
Mbuna's do not pair up and are actually 'harem' or polygamous breeders (meaning best kept in 1 male per several females per species). When kept in pairs, and over eager fully matured male can potentially constantly harass the sole female and kill her. Multiple females reduce the amount of attention each female receives.

mine are all blue (Johannies)
More likely Electric Blue Johanni's (melanochromis cyaneorhabdos), similar, yet different from Johanni's (melanochromis johanni), which are born yellowish (a color that the females remain).

i have non striped cobalts.... let me send u a link to a picture.... i read they were put in to 2 different species
Again, cobalt blue zebras aren't a striped species (so they're all non-striped).

...i am trying to get them to breed in my big tank and then i will move the mother into a 5 to 10 gallon tank with food that is 50 % protein how fast should the babies grow?
Variable growth rate, but can expect a new fry to become 2.5"-3" in a year, and full grown (4"-6") within 18-24 months. Dominant male fry will grow considerably faster than their sub-dominant siblings of either gender.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store