Do snails know the time?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

---MR.CLEAN---

Ace Ventura Pet Detective
Sep 4, 2007
Ventura CA
Okay well as always when I wake up my trumpet snails and pondsnails are on the side of the tank wall once I turn on the light there already starting crawling down to the bottom in no time and disappear well at 9:45 PM when its about time for me to turn off the lights the baby snails are already crawling on the side of the tank.
its like they know that at this time I will be turning off the lights
do snails have this good of memory?
do they know that I will be turining off the light at this time?

Last edited:

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
Most animals have a time sense. Without any clocks and no daylight references, people will still get up and go to sleep in about a day. Actually for people, research gives us more like a 25 hour day if we have no way to measure it. I had never considered snails but would not be surprised if they run an internal clock just like most of us.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
My MTS frequently do a mid-day run up the side of the tank, then go back down. Most of 'em seem to prefer the right side of my tank (where I drop algae wafers), so I see an impressive herd of them for about 40 min. on the front/right some nights.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store