Fish shipment coming in tomorrow morning!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
So, my father in law is sending me a fish shipment from his home bred cichlids... We have already discussed (o the dismay of some here) hat I will be getting (elec yellow labidochromis, elec blue johanni, victorian haplochromis (psuedo rock pickers) and I will be combining with my brichardi.

So, the question is, when the fish come, aside of ensuring that there is a fresh water change, and a slow acclimation process, is there any other precautions I need to take?

any advice from you fish experts?

thanks as always..

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
I order all of my fish online so I deal with the shipping process a lot. It is a great way to get fish but takes a little more care than getting them at the LFS.

Drip Acclimation, very dim light for at least a few hours upon opening the box and possibly some stress coat of some kind. Keep an eye on them, when fish are shipped there is a lot of stress involved, they need a lot of care.

SOUNDS LIKE FUN THOUGH! Enjoy them!

keiferd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
LI,NY
Visit site
How far are they being shipped from? Generally African cichlids are a pretty hardy fish. I suggest adding them as fast as possible when you get them. Just do the standard float in the bag for about 15 minutes for the temperature to regulate. Drip acclimation helps, but is not really neccissary. The fish are all being introduced at once in an empty cycled tank so they will start recovering as soon as they hit the water with no aggression from denizens. Gratz with the african cichlids though, you're gonna love them. Do you have a scientific name on that Victorian hap? I may just buy some from your dad.

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
I can get the name from him when he comes.... There were 18 juvanile fish, and as they get settled in, I will pick the 7-10 that I am going to keep.

I will update this with info later... As of right now, all 18 are fine, and in the water doing good!

kitokatlin

1.21 Gigawatts!
So did they arrive in good health? Any Photos?

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
They definitely arrived in good health, 19 fish were shipped out, one died, and I am not sure as they grow which ones I will keep. There were 3 Jacobfriebergei, 4 ahli, 4 Victorian Haplochromis (psuedo rock pickers), 2 tropheus (not sure the specific species), and 2 albino Zebras and 4 johannis. I have some pictures on my phone that I will upload later. all of the fish are less than 2" with the exception of one of the jacobs, which is like 3.5...

I also have 3 synodontis cats, and will be getting that Red Dragon fish I posted about too, and then in a month or two will need to decide which ones stay with me, and which ones go...

keiferd

AC Members
Nov 4, 2003
LI,NY
Visit site
the 2 tropheus are most likely going to fight to the death. you have to have like 30 of them or they are extremely aggressive to each other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store