feeding baby pleco's ? calling all bottom feeder lovers!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grannylvsfish

have you been bad this year ??
Dec 6, 2006
Montana
I got 2 yesterday a golden pleco (pet guy says only gets around 6 inches) and a bristle nose. I got a vegi clip for the veggies, so where to place, what to give, and how will they know where it is? should I feed at the exact location every day? these are just babies, so I asked the pet store to show me a food to feed thim, he gave me vacation blocks and said this is all they need :lipssealedsmilie:
yikes, he needs to get with it !! I am not sure what a golden is, looks like there are several kinds? but the little thing is beautiful. bright yellow :) there less then 2 inches, very small so I want to be sure to give them all they need.
so what bottom foods do I feed these babies, as far as pellet, disc food is concerned.
thanks for any help with my new babies.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
There are algae waffers for bottom feeders. I would break one in half if the fish are small and drop into tank at night. They will find it.

FtwayneFish

Pump Paintball!
Dec 7, 2007
Fort Wayne, IN
^ ditto. but I heard cucumber needed not to be "blanched" (dipping on boiling water for less than a min) that it needed just to be peeled and de-seeded. Zuch had to be blanched. But in no way am I arguing. Just didnt know? Im sure nuke'n it is ok.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Hi Granny, Congrats on the new additions! I can tell you only what to feed the bristlenose.....sliced zuchinni with the seeds taken out. At the size you bought, you do not have to blanch first. I use a seafood fork, poke it thru the zuch and place it on the bottom. He'll find it! And sliced raw mushrooms on the fork the same way. Yummy! He'll eat algae in your tank, but get yourself some wardley or hikari algae wafers to supplement too. So....alternate the veggies and the algae wafers, but be sure to let him eat the algae in the tank too. That's good stuff for him! Bristlenose are vegetarians. Vacation block feeder......he's crazy! You need to identify the other pleco out on planetcatfish.com so you will know what types of foods it eats. Or post a picture and people here will tell you what it is and then you can read about it. And Happy Valentines Day!

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
Thank you , good info!! I love it when i get my questions answered and helpful :)
Here is a pic of the bristlenose and the golden. not the best but I tried .
Oh and whats a seafood fork? never heard of that. gee and I got a veggie clip LOL!

baby bristle.jpg golden pleco.jpg

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
the golden is kind of hard to see, and wow I have brown algea where the baby bristle nose is, did not see it before the picture LOL! and these guys are very small but look for big in the pics.

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
my parrot fish loves the zucinni :) I can not believe it! I dropped a slice in and shes loving it. how long do I leave the zuccini in? I blanched it a sec in the microwave. I hope the corys and the pleco's see it !

grannylvsfish

Dec 6, 2006
Montana
can leave it there over night and take it out next day.. though i just leave it in there until they finish the whole thing, while pleco nibbles on it a bit, my snails devour it in a day
I can not believe it, my green sevrum and my parrot ate a whole slice!! they would go no where near the veggie clip, and when it was on the bottom they had a hard time eating it, the zuccini kept moving around. so I broke off pieves for them. they both went nuts for it!
thank you, all of you for letting me know so much about feeding my babies. I will shut the lights off soon so the pleco's can seek it out. so far no ones went near it in the 29 gallon tank. .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store