150 wood and glass tank build thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scootrnerd

just another average loser
Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
first off this may take a long time due to $$$$$ i am trying to do this as cheap as possible! without affecting quality of course. here is what i have so far. the first and second pic are of the peace of glass prior to cutting. the third is after. i wanted to make sure i could cut the glass without breaking it before i bought the wood.there is also a rough sketchof the first cuts of the wood.any help suggestions comments(good or bad) are welcome and appreciated.

glass 001.jpg

glass 002.jpg

glass 003.jpg

View attachment rough scetch.bmp

glass 001.jpg glass 002.jpg glass 003.jpg

scootrnerd

Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
i got the side pieces and front pieces cut and installed today as well as a test fit on the glass panel. i filled all the knot holes (after pics were taken) and am waiting for the filler to dry i will sand them down tomorrow. i am waiting on the msds on some epoxy paint from my local hardware store
but they use it for aqrecultural applications like water tanks for cattle and such so i might be ok .if it is toxic i will go with this instead http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/11733/cid/3035

S6300033.JPG

S6300035.JPG

S6300037.JPG

S6300038.JPG

S6300040.JPG

S6300033.JPG S6300035.JPG S6300037.JPG S6300038.JPG S6300040.JPG

Rudy

Over my head
Dec 3, 2002
MA
Visit site
Hey Nerd - you are taking DIY to a new level.

Please let me know if I am understanding this correctly? Are you going to use the box you constructed to help support the glass you place within it, to make it water tight? Or, is this box serving some other purpose?

Where will this tank ultimately be placed? How do you plan to plumb the tank?

scootrnerd

Jan 5, 2008
florida
www.myspace.com
the box is the tank the only glass is the front.i will be coating it with fiberglass and epoxy paint to seal it off. plumbing will be two corner overflows to a 55 gallon sump/fuge (my current tank) and it will also have a closed loop. i am still thinking of exactly where to place the closed loop. as far as placement of the tank it will be an in wall unit with all plumbing lighting NOISE out of sight either in my spare room or a fish room i would have to build in the garage either way viewing would be in the main room of my house

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
These plywood tank builds intrigue me... I want to build an indoor pond for FW stingrays someday, and am curious why nobody has contact cemented a pond liner to the inside of a plywood tank? It seems like this idea is not even considered most often. Is this a bad idea or something?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
It would work fine, but you have to deal with the wrinkles in the corners. I guess you could use contact cement to glue flat pieces to each wall and then seal the seams, but I'm not sure how well silicone would adhere to the pond liner. It also might be problematic if you wanted a viewing window in the side.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store