Hyposalinity & ick Help?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Robi

AC Members
Feb 12, 2008
Hi Everyone
I'am new to your site and looking for some help.I have a 10 month old 120g DT with fish only now. I removed my corals & inverts to a smaller tank.I started doing hypo on my 120 because of a bad ick attack.I choose to to do hypo on the 120 because i don,t have enough QT space.The fish are large and i don,t think they would get along in smaller QT tanks.

Sailfin Tang (attitude)
Sohal Tang
Yellow Tang
Hippo Tang
2 occelaris clowns
Coral Beauty
Manderine Goby
I started doing hypo on Jan.7 here's my steps. (Using a refractometer)
Jan.7 1.024 All the tangs had ick when i started
Jan.8 1.020
Jan.9 1.016 All fish eat well & i do use garlic (Temp 82)
Jan.11 1.013.5
Jan.12 1.010
I held it 1.010 steady, on Jan.20 no visable spots on any of the fish so i
started my 4 week count to be safe.On Feb.10 i noticed my hippo tang was covered and my coral beauty had a few spots. The tank is still at 1.010.
Does anybody have any suggestions.:help:

Robi

AC Members
Feb 12, 2008
Fresh water dip might help temporarily but i would like to try and get rid of ick in my tank all together.Do you know of any good meds. that actaully worked.

Robi

AC Members
Feb 12, 2008
There is 100 lbs of base rock and 1 1/2 of i think it's called argonite.

Robi

AC Members
Feb 12, 2008
I removed a bunch of the live rock to the qt tank that took on any growth of corals and feather duster.I left the rest to support bioload if i had to treat with meds.The rest had coraline on it, and yes i no some small stuff may have been left behind in the rock. I didn't have a lot of corals yet but i want to rid my dt of ick and qt all corals and fish from now on.I Think i got ick bring in corals or shrimp in because the tank was ick freefor about 6 months.I did qt fish as i got them but not corals. I was told you didn,t need to
but obviousely bad advice.Transported in the water or eggs on the rock the corals attached to.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
If you use medication in your display tank, then the possibility is that you will kill off any life that is already spawning on the base rock and substrate. My advice would normally be to do a meth blue dip on each fish, and reset your Ich counter and monitor for another 21 days at hypo salinity. However, as your using the display to treat for Ich, then it rules out the meth blue...Which then leaves you only with the option of doing another freshwater dip.

You are constantly going to be having a battle with this, in all reality, as i guarantee you that there will be now Ich parasites living in the base rock and sand..The only solution to rid your display tank of Ich, effectivly, is to leave this tank to go fallow for 6 - 8 weeks...

Just an opinion of course..

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Hmmm, so this wont work in a reef setup? About a dozen LFS in my area all recommend this product and say it is reef safe. Are they all wrong?

Reef Safe Kick-Ich is a water treatment for the control of ich (a.k.a. "whitespot disease") in marine and freshwater aquaria. It has been scientifically formulated to eliminate the free swimming, infectious stage of the ich life cycle while being safe for all freshwater and marine aquaria. Kick-Ich has a long shelf life at room temperature and is supplied in easy to use, self-dosing bottles. Safe for all fish, corals, invertebrates and macro algae, as well as the facultative anaerobes and nitrifying bacteria essential to biologic filtration.
Two-week treatment
1 liter bottle will treate up to a 75 gallon tank for two weeks

Robi

AC Members
Feb 12, 2008
Thank You for your advice but i really didn't what to hear that. I has hoping there was something else to try or something i was doing wrong because you read everywhere how great hypo works even on the well known websites. Alot of work and another failure for the hypo treatment in my opinion for anyone searching it didn't work for me.If people use this method for QT i wouldn't be to comfortable with it. I did use copper during my fish QT period and it seemed to work OK.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store