Are Cichlids territorial towards other Cichlids...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishmasteR2002

Pescatore Napoletano
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Are Cichlids territorial towards other Cichlids more than other types of fish?

The reason I ask is because I have a Firemouth and it doesn't bother any of the Tetras or Danios in my tank but it will chase off my Angels and my German Blue Ram if it sees them. I think the one I have is a female beacuse it isn't red under the mouth. I bought another Firemouth who was really red, I'm guessing he is a male, and put him in there with her. He was smaller than her, well lets just say that she didn't appreciate that. I had to move him to another tank because he was stressed out from her constant chasing. He is doing better but his fins are pretty ravaged. I find this behavior very strange. Any other experiences like this??? Thanks for feedback. :)

Jurupari Man

The Masked Tortilla
May 29, 2001
New York, NY
Generally speaking with cichlids, the closer the resemblance, the greater the threat posed, and therefore the greater the aggression. All cichlids will exhibit a degree of territorial behavior towards their own kind (some more so than others), and the more similar in appearance the other fish is, the worse the aggression is. Two firemouths in a small tank are almost assuredly going to fight (especially if they are not a mated pair). Rams and angels (neither of which should really be mixed with firemouths anyhow, as the firemouths are too tough for them), both being cichlids will pose a much greater threat than tetras or loaches, etc. and therefore will be chased or attacked. And of course adding another firemouth will likely cause even greater tumult, as you have witnessed.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
It also depends on the area of the water column the fiah occupy. If you have bottom dwelling cichlids they will be more territorial towards bottom dwelling fish (catfish, other cichlids, etc.) because that is their terrotory. Likewise if the cichlid was a midwater swimmer it would be more aggressive toward other midwater swimmers.

goldfries

AC Members
Oct 11, 2001
Malaysia
www.briancyc.com
1. i think it depends on personality
2. i think it depends on species

i have 1 oscar and 2 convicts in the tank.

the 1 oscar killed a few oscar babies and other oscars from the same tank before.

BUT

the same oscar never killed but in fact, is living comfortably with the 2 Convicts.

the 2 Convicts on the other hand, have made their territories and will 'tango' every time they see each other.

FishmasteR2002

Pescatore Napoletano
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I am going to move the Angels as soon as my new tank is done cycling. I am probably going to move my Ram in there with them. Do you think a 10G will be big enough for those three fish for now until about mid January? The Angels are less than 2 inches long and the Ram is barely over an inch. Thanks again for the replies. I am glad I got back into fish again, I quit smoking thanks to it. :)

Oh and about the oscar experiences you have with convicts, I saw a 11" Oscar sharing a tank with a lone Jack Dempsey that was about 3" maybe 4". Lets just say that the Jack Dempsey was the one in charge. Jacks are really mean and from what I have read so are Convicts. I have a Convict that is barely over an inch long and he chases Gouramis that are 3 times his size around. He don't go after their fins he just nibbles at their sides like he is biting them but not to hurt them. It's actually pretty funny because the Gouramis don't even mind and when they do they just swim off and the Convict goes about his business. Cichlids are funny fish sometimes. :)

Last edited:

FishmasteR2002

Pescatore Napoletano
Dec 2, 2002
Visit site
Anyone? I would really appreciate it. It is kinda time sensative. I leave next week to go on vacation for 3 weeks. Thanks again. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store