algae eaters to keep with my cichlids?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Beowulff83

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Wellington Oh,
I have a 55 gal setup as of now i have a yellow lab, blue peacock, golden peacock, and a eureka peacock. I was wondering what would a good algae eater would be to add in my tank. I would consider otto's but im affraid they could become a snack for my cichlids. SAE's ive considered but have read they dart about alot and could disturb the other fish, or maybe a bristlenose pleco but im not sure about them either. thanks in advance for any advice.

bextraordinary

AC Members
Feb 13, 2008
East Lansing, MI
Bristlenose plecos are fantastic in cichlid tanks, as long as they're bigger than a mouthful and you have lots of hiding places. I've never seen any other pleco work so hard at keeping a tank algae-free! I'm a big fan.

Chinese Algae Eaters are also an option. They're a bit belligerent, just like cichlids, so you usually find them in the same place in your LFS. There's the normal mottled green/brown color, and then a golden variation too. Again, make sure they're not too small and that you have some hiding places while they grow up.

SAEs tend to prefer hair algae, so I wouldn't recommend them. Ottos are too small and fragile for a tank like this and would not appreciate the cichlids' hard, slightly salty water.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
from what I hear, have seen and read, the most likely to succeed would be a bristlenose plec or two, if you are looking for an algae eater.

that said, I personally clean only the front panel of my aquarium (its not viewable from the side) and the fish tend to nibble away on the algae which forms on the back and sides, as they would in the sides, so an algae eating fish is not a necessary addition. Equally I would let it grow all over your rockwork etc. Again, looks more natural and the fish like grazing on it.

ArrIbeAPirate

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
i know this is an old thread but i figured id post up....

i have a rubber lip in my cichlid tank and he does perfectly fine.... the fish dont bother him and he doesnt bother them..... and hes cool as hell to look at :)

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Over and over I have seen bristlenose plecos in cichlid tanks. As long as they are big enough it should not be a problem.

Marinemom

TheFanatic

AC Members
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
I have a 110 gallon with peacocks, haps, couple mbuna, couple tangs, couple juliis including a breeding pair of Transcriptus. I have 4 plecos. An L236, L200 (Green Phantom), Panaque Maccus (tiger pleco) and a bristlenose. Everyone of them is doing well....

I put a Gold Nugget in there. He got shredded. Expensive lesson....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store