Blacklight?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Is one "blacklight" safe to have on a 55 gallon reef set-up. Or, could it actually harm the tank?

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Fish and corals don't phosphoresce all that much...I'd imagine that a blacklight wouldn't really enhance the experience, and might even give the fish some sort of sunburn if it isn't made for aquaria! I'm getting this from AFM a few months back. I wouldn't use blacklight unless it were specially made for aquaria and supplemental to other light (and only used on occasion while the other lights are fully used on normal cycles).

serjuanca888

AC Members
Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
blacklights emit harmful rays. They would harm any animals in your tank. They also emit radiation and a lot of exposure could cause radiation burns.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Actually, many corals fluoresce (e.g, see my post of green star polyps). Corals don't like UV light, though, so a blacklight isn't a great idea. The best compromise is a good actinic bulb. I have the actinics on about 14 hours, with the daylight on for 12.

Hebdizzle

playswithsquirrels
Mar 8, 2003
you can get a piece of glass the absorbs or reflects (im not sure which) UV radiation. I think they're commonly used in metal halide lighting.

Aaron

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Ive seen many people use blacklights to get corals to flouresce. The lights dont emit anywhere near as much UV as MH does, or for that matter, how much UV corals see in the wild.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by slipknottin
Ive seen many people use blacklights to get corals to flouresce. The lights dont emit anywhere near as much UV as MH does, or for that matter, how much UV corals see in the wild.
OK - what is it??

I get a 'no way' and 'yea ok' ...
Please, more info.. Thanks...

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
According to Eric Borneman (the coral expert on RC) the UV blacklights emit is not enough to be concerned with.

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
OK, I've learned something. But does the blacklight give them any photosynthetically usable light? If you are devoting a spot in your canopy to a blacklight, do the corals get anything for it?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
UV light has been shown to get corals to 'color up' but since the levels of UV light are pretty low from most blacklights (20 watt bulbs or so) its pretty doubtful it would do much.

An actinic bulb would get the corals to fluoresce and would provide useful spectrum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store