Regular convict or hybrid? + my $1 texas's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oii

CA/SA CICHLID MAN
Jan 3, 2008
Howell, Michigan
Found him earlier, he was in a tank full of firemouths.. Didn't look like a regular convict to me so I bought him for $3.99. I wasn't sure if he was just a standard convict, maybe a reg convict X pink convict or what. I've never bred my pinks with my normal convicts. What do you guys think?

Decided to give the $1 texas's another try before someone else bought them all. Bought 4 random ones and got them to the counter and realized I had 3 texas's and 1 JD, oh well. The pet store is dumb as hell and they had them all marked as JD's anyways. I had to get a manager and explain to him I'd bought them there before as texas's for $1 and that is what they were. I think I was the only person who bought any of those texas's anyways. I killed about 5 of them and my jag ate about 3 of them. They seem to like the 30 as a grow out better than the 10 but these ones are ugly as hell compared to my old ones. Heres a picture of one of them.

I currently have 3 texas's, 1 jack dempsey, 1 amphilophus hybrid, the convict/maybe hybrid, and 2 common plecos growing out in the 30g. They're all under 2" (accept for the plecos) and getting along fine, when do you think I should start swapping them out? I don't plan on keeping all the texas's either. Maybe just the nicest one or if I can get a female out of the bunch.Regular convict or hybrid? + my $1 texas's

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
The first photo appears to be a convict to me.:confused: Maybe I am confusing myself with the appearance again. As for the second photo, nice pickup but the fish is thin. Need food supplements at the moment.

Oii

CA/SA CICHLID MAN
Jan 3, 2008
Howell, Michigan
The first photo appears to be a convict to me.:confused: Maybe I am confusing myself with the appearance again. As for the second photo, nice pickup but the fish is thin. Need food supplements at the moment.
**** it, I have 40+ convicts over a inch in my room that I don't want and now I have another lol. I'm still not sure if he's 100% convict, that picture is not very good, I will get another one up sometime tonight.

thanks a lot for putting that out there, I didn't even notice their bellies but I do now. :eek: I wasn't going to feed that tank today since I just added everything today because the tanks only been set up for 3-4 days tops and I didn't want a nitrate/ammonia spike. I used old filter media, gravel, and filled the tank with about 40% full with water from my established 55g. I couldn't believe how fast it cycled. I did threw some frozen mysis shrimp in the tank earlier and the texas's scarfed it down pretty quick. I was suprised to see they were eating less than a hour after I put them in the tank. Never heard of food supplements, I'm sure they'll be fine though. The pet stores had them for at least 3 months and I haven't seen any growth in them at all.. I can't believe they can keep them alive but I couldn't, it blows my mind. Hopefully I have better luck this time. I read that a lot of people on MFK have problems keeping texas's alive too so it made me feel better.

Oii

CA/SA CICHLID MAN
Jan 3, 2008
Howell, Michigan
Ahhh..Just vary the food diet and you'll be fine.:)
I found a place 90minutes away that makes their own food.. Long story short, I spent $40 on like 5-6lbs. of food. 2 different kind of pellets, 2 different kinds of flake, frozen mysis shrimp, and a bunch of various weird foods. I also have regular hikari, gold, omega one, beefheart, and plankton.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Looks like a normal Convict to me too. The spots are interesting though, my one male gets them from time to time.

Oii

CA/SA CICHLID MAN
Jan 3, 2008
Howell, Michigan
Looks like a normal Convict to me too. The spots are interesting though, my one male gets them from time to time.
if he is a con he's definitely a male. I will try and get some better pictures of him if my girlfriend ever stops *****ing.. First its the redwings and now its the fish.. ***** leave me alone!!!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I don't think that pink x regular convict hybrids have a different color. I am pretty sure some turn up pink and the others turn up looking normal.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Your Texas isn't a Texas. It's a Herichthys carpintis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store