Kribensis contraception??????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ESOXLUCIOUSS

AC Members
Nov 19, 2005
Dublin Ireland
Hi,
I always wanted to breed kribs. So i bought two females and a male, after a month two paired and harassed the second female. I brought her back to the fish store before she was killed.
Now i am on the third successful batch of fry since november, i have ran out of fry rearing tanks aswell and guess what, they have done it again..
All u have to do is to provide lots of caves and feed frozen blood worm.. hey presto u have eggs within three weeks.
Now i have the problem of stopping them from rearing fry in the main tank, i have lots of syno's , a few plecs and numerous cories along with angels and firemouths. But the male krib rules the roost..
I am afraid that he will kill other fish in the tank protecting his babies, what to do..
Regards,
Denis

gvildawg

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
Greenville, SC
www.myspace.com
I wouldn't worry about anyone other than the angels but someone else may disagree. If you just leave the eggs/fry in the tank I would think that the other inhabitants would eventually eat most of them.

ESOXLUCIOUSS

AC Members
Nov 19, 2005
Dublin Ireland
kribs

Cheers, i appreciate the reply. I will keep all updated as to what happens, not looking forward to the warring male krib when the fry become free swimming.. Oddly enough the male krib ignores the angels most of the time, but it hates the firemouths.
I thought that the eggs may get eaten by the cats at night, but no mammy krib dug a hole under a upright piece of bog oak with one entry hole, just big enouh for herself. and she sits there all day in the hole allowing nothing to pass, with daddy krib hovering above her head all day warding off passers by..lol...
Regards,
Denis..

gvildawg

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
Greenville, SC
www.myspace.com
Funny--my firemouths bug my kribs all the time. Granted all are juveniles and the firemouths are a bit (less than an inch) larger. The firemouths thought they were badasses until I added some adult rainbows to the tank last week. Now everyone gets chased equally, mostly. My festivums and gouramis are ignored most of the time by the others since they tend to stay at the upper levels of the tank.

ESOXLUCIOUSS

AC Members
Nov 19, 2005
Dublin Ireland
cool....all the fish fight from time to time , well posture at each other more than bitting.. Its great watching them flare up and then swim away..

gvildawg

AC Members
Mar 6, 2007
Greenville, SC
www.myspace.com
Likewise--no nipped fins in my tank. Just posturing.

ESOXLUCIOUSS

AC Members
Nov 19, 2005
Dublin Ireland
Yes i suppose,lol.....Not really, have wrigglers in the main tank this morning, she brought them out into full view in the most exposed pot, i think she is looking for me to move her out again into a new tank, but i have not room, i think i will let nature take its course this time.
Regards
Denis

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store