Breeding glofish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chunkoblue

AC Members
Nov 26, 2006
Glenwood, IL
Will breeding these genetically modified fish result in fish with the same traits? If the gene(s) inserted in different locations of the genome of mom and dad I would think they would come out looking like normal zebras... Anybody try this?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I've heard that if you breed two glowfish, their offspring will also carry the genetic traits and look just like the parents.

redpaulhus

AC Members
Apr 26, 2002
Boston, MA
One of the guys in my club bred some of these - reds bred to reds breed true, but red x green or red x orange yielded albino fry (which makes sense to me, as I think the introduced genes for red, green, and orange are all different, and albino zebra's were the core stock).
I have some of his red and albino fry at home right now.

Of course, since the original developers hold the copyright to Glofish, I didn't *buy* them :)

fishdude92

AC Members
Jun 27, 2005
glofish+danio=glofish with blue stripes
i tried it and now mine is like 6 months old......so much cooler than normal or glofish

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
well.. im working on some right now-- from what I understand if I breed a glofish with a zebra I get a glowing zebra

my question is weather the glowing zebra is fertile? because if it is I am in.. I want to breed 2 of them together to create a true species....

not for selling or distrubuting of course.. just for my own enjoyment

Interesting that there is already a thread on this because I was just thinking about it and did a search and it lead me back here on good ol AC

I am bringing this thread back rather than making a new one-- because im really interested to know other peoples opinions

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
There's no reason why glofish crossed with unaltered zebra danios wouldn't produce viable fry. The genes to produce the different colors are spliced, so they will breed true. Mixing them with normal stock then crossing 2 of the resulting offspring should produce some glofish, some blue, and some albino according to Mendel's Laws of genetics.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
well I have seen some pics online of people getting a glowing striped danio... and that is my goal...

I would like to harness the glow gene.. and eventually (after a year or 2 of work) get a long-finned, Red, glowing zebra danio with stripes

I think its very possible from what I know.. and im attempting it as we speak (not for selling purposes)

now.. if I do get this result-- and it ends up being firtile I would be a very happy person and name a new species after myself haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store