Red Dragon African Cichlid?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
So I am at my local LFS (Pets plus in langhorn PA) and they have a fish, looks a lot like a Jacobfriebergei or maybe an Ali, only it is blue faced with the most gorgeous red and orange throughout the rest of it's body and fins.

He said that they were just brought in from Africa, I have never heard or seen any African like this, and they were definitely the nicest looking freshwater fish I have ever seen (sorry no pics...) He had them in different sizes starting at about $25 all the way through $80.

Has anyone seen this "Rred Dragon Cichlid"?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
only fish I have seen referred to as a red dragon cichlid is Flowerhorns - I presume its not one of those.

Could it be these ? http://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-501&fp_ip=IE&x=wrt&js=1&ni=21

check some of those red fish pics out - they are a jacobfreibergi genetic strain created in germany...the same guys 'made' these http://www.cichlids.com/pictures/pic/Sunburst_Peacock_and_Neo_Helianthus.html the red fish in the centre

edit wooops ! they're not aulonocara, at 80 bucks a pop !

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
yeah, it probably is a eureka red freibergei..... But these were definitely prettier than those pictures... I have a lemon Freibergei, so maybe a eureka red would be cool to get too...

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I've had one - he was beautiful. Expensive fish though at 80 bucks ! Mine was considerably cheaper, but I bought him tiny....and in euros.

In my experience they are quite a bit more aggressive than many aulonocara species; which undoubtably has to do with the intensive breeding selection of more vivid colours to produce that brilliant colouration.

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
Thank you for the info... There may not be enough room for him to get too aggressive in my tank, and I have enough tough fish to keep him at bay... The smaller ones start at 20 bucks... It is when you start buying the six inch variety where they get that pricey, but the big ones already show their full color, where the smaller ones don't show as much...

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
it can be tough to pick out a nice juvenile peacock under the store lights; try and go for the most reactive fish, the one that follows your finger, and certainly not one that appears to be being picked on...of course, that is also getting you the most aggressive fish too. It took a few months before mine began to hit his full colours. When they have just arrived in the store they will be quite pale often, however within a day or so they have all usually gotten very bright; this is often because they will have been kept in hormonally treated waters in the breeders tanks, and this artificially boosts the colours, so the brightest peacock a day or two after arrival will not necessarily hold those colours; that's why you often look more at personality. Ideally purchase a week or so after they have arrived, when the hormone effect has substantially reduced...of course often all the nice fish are gone by then...so trial and error somewhat, plus providing ideal conditions at home, and you have a good chance of seeing their best colours.

I don't know how he will go down with your mbuna/brichardi mix though.

Brian Bivens

Labeotropheus Trawavasae
Jun 8, 2007
Colorado Springs
yeah, that has been talk of many posts... So far everything has been fine (just about a week now) and all is happy

My father in law has bred cichlids for nearly 30 years, and has always kept tanks where he mixed all three lakes, in addition so species specific tanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store