Ritteri Anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I'm going to pick up a ritteri today from my LFS that i special ordered (for my mated pair of oscellaris) :) :) :)

Does it need any special acclimation? Anybody have any experience with them?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Yes. They are probably the most difficult anemone species to take care of. They have a notorious captive record as far as survival. For this species, metal halides are pretty much required (more to do with point source than intensity), as is very strong flow (like what you would provide for many "sps" type corals. They are also prone to bacterial infections upon arrival. Any acclimation procedure should be slow and gradual. If you can, I would suggest a different species altogether. Maybe something like a BTA would be more appropriate. Have you ever kept an anemone before? Describe your setup in detail, if possible.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
I second the getting a diffrent nem. ritt. while very nice looking need perfect water conditions and intense lighting even if you still have both they dont do well in the home aquarium. Pass if at all possible.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I didn't get it...ok whatever. I just want a good home for my clowns...

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
i got one of those and it didn't work out too well so i returned it.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Your BTA didn't work out because of your lighting when you first got it.

Clowns don't need an anemone to survive. With all your current issues I'd also give it a couple of months before getting an anemone

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Thank you for saying that, Cpd.

I'll reiterate. Clowns don't need an anemone, in an aquarium!!!!!!!!!! We Do!!
We like to see our clowns, all cute and nuzzling up against an anemone. I fell into the same trap and purchased a GBTA for my Maroon clowns and the experience was great at first as the clowns hosted immediately and it was great fun to watch until the the nem started to move all over the tank and finally died behind the rockwork. My tank was young at the time but I know club members with many years of experience that realized it's hit or miss to keep a nem happy even in a very seasoned and stable tank.

If you want to nurture an anemone tank, that's a task in itself. If you want to keep coral with a nem, that's even a bigger task as you don't want a rogue anemone floating around the tank and stinging coral until it finds a place that it wants to be.

Your BTA didn't work out because of your lighting when you first got it.

Clowns don't need an anemone to survive. With all your current issues I'd also give it a couple of months before getting an anemone

Last edited:

schigara

AC Members
Jan 2, 2005
Memphis, Tn
www.geocities.com
Your clowns will find a perfectly good home on their own. It may be in an LPS, a leather or just a corner in the tank. They DO NOT NEED an anemone!

I didn't get it...ok whatever. I just want a good home for my clowns...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store