moving my inverts to my QT

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bchbm2022

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
ok, i have yet another question for all you experts out there. i got an ich outbreak that has already taken the lives of 2 fish. my qt is only a 10 gallon and not enough room to treat all my fish, so i have to move my inverts to my QT. Now, the problem is i had to completely re-cycle my QT. I have ammonia, nirite, and nitrate readings. Once they all go down to where they are unreadable, can i put my inverts in my QT for the time it takes me to do hypo on my main tank? or would the QT not be mature enough to handle my inverts for that amount of time? I have 2 feather dusters, a sand sifting starfish, some snails, and an emerald mithrax crab. oh and i have been using kordon ich attack because it is safe to use with inverts, but in my opinion it is not doing the job its supposed to. the only thing it is doing is causing a bunch of algae to grow.

bchbm2022

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
i have an algae blenny and 4 damsels. i doubt that they could go in my QT for that long of a time but can i maybe do that?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Leave the inverts in the display..put the fish in a rubbermaid container if you have to. Handle the lack of a cycled tank with daily or every other day (as needed) water changes. The fish will be able to handle this far easier than the inverts AND you won't have to deal with what you'll do with the substrate and rock while you're treating for ich.

bchbm2022

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
ok so just move them into a rubbermaid container. should i do hypo still or treat with something like copper? and how long do i let the main tank go fallow?

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I'd allow the display to go fallow for 6-8 weeks. As for hyposalinity or copper...in my opinion hypo is safer (use a refractometer and not a hydrometer for this!). However I used copper myself in the past. If you go the route of copper you'll want to get the right kind of copper test kit and be diligent about monitoring it as it is a poison.

bchbm2022

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
thanx. i just need to figure out where im gonna store this rubbermaind container since i dont have much room. thanx for your help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store