Hermits w/ anenome on it's shell

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sarra

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
What species of Anenome do certain hermit crabs put on their shells? I seem to have one such anenome as a hitch hiker on some LR I bought today, and am interested in learning about it's care.

If it helps, it's not a glass anenome, it has multiple rows of tentacles, they're a black and white alternating color, and some of the tentacles are very long (about 3x as long as the height of the body of the critter itself).

I can provide pics if necessary.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I had one. It was a monster. It tried to kill everything. I can't say I was too upset when it must have suffocated during a molt.

Sarra

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
Not a pom pom, a hermit crab. This is a different anenome than on a pom pom crab, thankfully. ;)

This Anenome hasn't moved a single mm since I put it in the qt tank.

I should also mention it's living on liverock, and not on the shell of a hermit. :D It just originally came from the shell of a hermit, I recall seeing it on the shell of a hermit in their LR tank at the LFS.

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I'm talking about what petco sold as an anemone hermit crab lol. it was the devil. it wasn't a pom pom but I forget what the scientific name of it once I looked it up.

At any rate, I definitely wouldn't consider that anemone something I'd want in my tank, was an ugly SOB

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Not a pom pom, a hermit crab. This is a different anenome than on a pom pom crab, thankfully. ;)

This Anenome hasn't moved a single mm since I put it in the qt tank.

I should also mention it's living on liverock, and not on the shell of a hermit. :D It just originally came from the shell of a hermit, I recall seeing it on the shell of a hermit in their LR tank at the LFS.

Ahhhhh...you maybe refering to calliactis parasitica which form a symbiotic relationship with hermit crabs....

Sarra

AC Members
Dec 8, 2007
I image googled calliactis parasitica, and it's similar, but not the same. I'll post pics on Monday when I'm back from vacation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store