6 line wrasse questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

beeven

AC Members
Feb 12, 2008
Washington, DC
I've been thinking of adding a 6 line wrasse to my tank but I'm a bit apprehensive since I've heard mixed reviews on them. Some say its a bad addition due to aggression issues, others say its perfectly fine. I'm running a 75G reef tank (coral only) but recently got a mated pair of Clowns just to host in my Anemone. I'm looking to ad a fish that would dart through the rocks and I like the way the 6 line looks. I'm worried, however, that it will annoy my otherwise peaceful clowns. They've had the whole tank to themselves for a month now. Anyone have any insight to the pros and cons to the 6 line?

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
If your thinking of adding a 6 line wrasse, i would only plan on adding this as the last fish to go in the tank...if you plan on adding more fish, then, i would do that first..

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Reefscape is right, if you're going to add them add them last.

BUT:

Should you have any issues where a fish dies and you want to add a replacement, then the wrasse can be a nightmare.

I now speak from experience - When I first introduce my SL wrasse my cleaner wrasse was living in the sump, having taken a trip on the old overflow. I eventually managed to catch him and put him in the main tank where the SL chased him around like a heat seeking missile! One day I discovered my Spotted Mandarin nice and crispy under my halides. I did wonder at the time why he jumped but didn't put much thought into until I got a replacement. After a couple of weeks, I watched my SL chase my Mandarin around the tank and down the overflow (seems a favourite form of transport in my tank), he then also picked on my Lawnmower Blenny (oldest resident), my chromis ( a gang of them) and my Yellow Tang (she's no easy target).

Would I reommend them???

NO

But that's just my opinion:grinyes:

The only "pro" is that he did get rid of some of my flatworm!

Last edited:

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I had a 6 line once, and for me, it was very peaceful. Unfortunately they are jumpers and mine jumped out of the tank. I have read so many experiences of them NOT being peaceful though that I know mine was definately not the norm. It was the last fish added at the time as well.

salty420

this fish was coming on to me
Mar 8, 2007
Sugar Grove, IL
i had one in my 29g that i added in because i was having a problem my very aggressive true perc. the perc had killed off 1 baby false perc and 1 pygmy angel and i wanted to find a fish that may be able to stand up to the clown. the 6-line wasn't able to stand up to the clown but it was fast enough to outrun her. (oddly enough after about 6 months i was able to add in a purple psuedochromis that the clown ignores all together). anywho the 6-line spent all it's time in the tank running away from the clown so to me it was a little wimp so im always so surprised when i hear that they are bullies. in the end the clown must have killed it because one day it was there and the next it was gone. the tank is a bio-cube too so i know it didn't jump...

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
Lovely fish, just have to be careful with the aggression. If its a small fish and added last it should be okay, also since you have a fairly large tank that should help limit any aggression. They're best kept with semi-aggressive fish eg clowns that have established a territory, dwarf angels, hawkfish, or at least fish that can stand up for themselves like blennies. They're also beter with fish that are a fair bit larger than themselves.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
This thread pretty much matches all the research and personal experiences I've had with six lines. The findings are pretty evenly divided. You might have one that gets along great, you mind not. Chances are better if your other fish can stand up for themselves.

beeven

AC Members
Feb 12, 2008
Washington, DC
Update:

Thx for the insight guys. I went ahead and got a 6 line wrasse... pretty sure this will be the last addition to this tank. I got him pretty small so as of yet there have been no problems. He's about half the size of my next smallest fish and so far he's the most skiddish fish in the tank. Hopefully everything stays calm and peaceful.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I hope he works out for you. They are lovely looking fish and certainly add colour and movement to the tank. It's just that I've had most of my tankmates for 3 years and only had the sixline for a couple of months so he had to go. My lawnmower blenny is still nervous but my Tang is now showing everyone that she's boss of the tank again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store