? about plec names

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1 fish 2 fish

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
What is the scientific name the the pleco usually called the common pleco?

What is the family(s) name(s) of the catfish called plecostomas?

It's all very confusing

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I believe the common pleco has a couple of names depending on varous things, some updated, your best bet would be to visit Planet Catfish
Be sure to click on "Common Names" to better help with getting the scientific names to what exactly you're looking for.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
All of the Plecos (at least "True Plecos") are found in the family Loricariidae. The Common Pleco is found in the genus Hypostomus and is often given the name H. plecostomus in relevant literature, though the structure of the Loricariids is in flux, and this may not be its ultimate identification, especially since the "type locality" is apparently India! If the initial literature on a species is as inaccurate as some of the H. plecostomus literature is, chances are good that it will be shuffled to a new specific name soon. (Ask the Cichlidiots here what we think of Kullander's revisions of the genus Cichlasoma!)

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I've heard they get up to 20" but have also heard them getting as large as 24" though that would be to max size.

on a side note, I've got one who's careened up to 14" to date.

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Common plecs a bucket name - they're also of ten Liposarcus radiatus - count the dorsal fin rays - 12-14 Hypostomus, much more than that Liposarcus I think.
I've seen them in a river in Malaysia where they've been released by well meaning pet fish owners - good work chaps ! (irony)

clayt101

Registered Abuser
IME, At most LFS, any pleco that is brown is usually classified as a common. I find that this includes many different types, including sailfins. Generally, the dwarf species are seperate, and go by their real names (sometimes clown plecos will be sold as commons as well, but this is pretty rare). Also, any that have colorful markings are generally sold by their real name.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store