anemone & choc. chip. star

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

newbie for life

JD-Boston
Jan 27, 2008
Boston
I have read in a few places the choc. chip will eat everything it can. Would a chocolate chip be disasterous to a long tentacle anemone?

My mom went to a lfs, seaworld i think. And thought it would be cool to bring me home 2 new choc star fish. She didnt ask if they were compatible to the long tent anemone i have been housing for the last 2 months... what are you guys thoughts? My mom means well but i dont think she realizes how fickle these tanks can be. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, it is a risk. I have seen chocolate chip starfish attempt to eat anemones if they were small enough. They tend to be more of a threat to certain corals, snails, hermits, and some fish, though.

newbie for life

JD-Boston
Jan 27, 2008
Boston
ya, i have to load up my tank with a CUC soon so im not sure how these guys can contribute to the tank other than looking pretty cool.. i know they are some what of algea eaters though.

I have a 55g with fish and live rock. I have been thinking of a clean up package but i know this would be another thread all by itself. Wondering where these starfish could fit in the mix without disrupting things to much.

newbie for life

JD-Boston
Jan 27, 2008
Boston
well i love the looks of corals.. Lets put it like this I'd rather have more fish than corals in the tank. Im still up in the air.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
They will mow right through just about any type of coral and are not reef safe at all. Should be just fine with a FOWLR setup, however. They are known to dine on snails, too. Crabs and certain shrimp may pick at and try to eat the star. So keep that in mind.

newbie for life

JD-Boston
Jan 27, 2008
Boston
OH OK. Thanks for the heads up. So with a FOWLR I will need a clean up crew? I have a 55 gallon w/ 1 long tent, 1 clarki,1 percula, a few asst. damsels, porc. puffer, 2 choc. chip stars,

newbie for life

JD-Boston
Jan 27, 2008
Boston
well yes, I had some algae that started building on the glass, greenish brown. For the time being i just wiped it all out by hand. It came off rather easy. Any really good glass cleaners?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store