Anyone kept a Channel Catfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Arctic_Fishery

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
cleveland,Ohio
fishdomain.netfirms.com
so.....anyone kept a channel catfish before????

I wanna know if anyone has ever successfully kept a channel catfish before and if so where did you keep it(tank or pond size)
and how big did it get.Also how is the experience of watching it?

Hypancistrus-zebra

Mar 17, 2002
UK
www.thefishtank.cjb.net
:eek: CHANNEL CATFISH!?

mate you are aware they get bigger then people?

were talking 300lbs +

this thing is illegal to own without a permit in the UK, just incase it gets into the wild. If it does, it will destroy the local fish stock. So where ever you have it, have it alone, and have it someone like a.... lake :)

Or fill your lounge with water.

Who every got you to take that lovely fish you better go beat the crap outta them :D lol. Good luck bud

Ledslnger

AC Members
Nov 1, 2001
Sioux City, IA
Yep, they get big! Better plan on getting yourself a nice 480G tank or so for when he gets big. I know a guy that has a bunch of them. He has a bunch of big tanks too! They will eat anything that will fit in their mouth. Active mostly at night, but if there is food in the water they will move around. Good luck!

Arctic_Fishery

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
cleveland,Ohio
fishdomain.netfirms.com
oh i know how big they get zebra....but i did not know they were illegal to own in th u.k. i wonder if its like that here in america?i was just curious cuz i saw these monsters and HAD to see if any of the AC guys had owned one or know how they work....

oscar andy

I'm with stupid^
Jan 16, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
300lbs? :rolleyes:
I think thats a bit of a streach.
All I know that the record american catfish is a flathead(I think, either that or a blue, they both get about the same size) and was something like 113lbs. And chanel catfish are one of the smaller catfish that usualy only get to be about 25-30lbs, and a few huge ones geting around 60lbs. So unless theres another kind of chanel catfish your thinking of then I'm pretty sure they don't get that big.

oscar andy

I'm with stupid^
Jan 16, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
actualy I just looked it up the world record channel catfish was 58lbs. and the record blue catfish was 111lbs.
So yes they get big, too big for most aquariums, but not 300lbs.

Ledslnger

AC Members
Nov 1, 2001
Sioux City, IA
I think the blues are also channel cats, just a color variant. They get big compared to most fish! I doubt there are issues with owning channel cats anywhere in the U.S. Since you can probably fish them out of any major river!!! :)

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
I'm not sure what the laws in OH are, but here in ND it is illegal to keep game fish for the reason they stated in the UK, if it were to somehow develop some kind of weird disease and get it into the wild it would devastate natural populations

Ledslnger

AC Members
Nov 1, 2001
Sioux City, IA
latazyo...is it illegal to catch game fish and put them in tanks or is it illegal to buy them from a LFS and put them in tanks? Both!?! I wonder...I know you cannot catch sturgeon and put them in tanks in many states. But, you can buy them at LFS. Yep, I do remember the releasing sick fish laws in certain states.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
good question...I can't imagine that there would be a law against catching them, since you can legally catch kill and eat them

I think the law is just that you can't have it in captivity regardless of how you get it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store