Discus' 5th Batch of Eggs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
They have not had a 'viable' hatch yet... :(

I'm beginning to think the pair is not yet mature, or they need their own tank (that could be a prob..).. ..

Z Man

AC Members
Apr 21, 2001
Western New York
members.aol.com
Joe, I had a pair of Discus lay eggs about 20 times in about 2 years. Finally I was told to check my water hardness and it was 175ppm Total Dissolved Solids which is medium hard. I put the small pair in twenty high and purchased 15 gallons of water from the RO machine in a local grocery store. Spring water will not work!!! I don't remember the exact result in hardness but it must have been real soft ( 30 ppm TDS) because the very next time they spawned, they raised a nice batch of about 60 fry. I believe the pH dropped from 7.5 to around 6 but only checked it once as I don't believe that is as much a concern as soft water. They then raised another 2 more spawns in a row before I sold the pair. Have your hardness checked as that MAY be the problem. I know that many people say they have had nice spawns from regular tap water but that did not work for me with my pair. Best of luck. And yes they sure do need their own tank!

Last edited:

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
That could be the problem, what it your GH and KH (I think you have said before but I have forgotten). Some people have good spawns in hard water like zman said, but I think the general concensus has better luck with soft water.
I have a pair that just eats the eggs every time, I know they are male and female and my water is very soft, but I am ready to give up on them. My pH stays around 6.5 and GH and KH are 4 dh. I have had other pairs spawn, I have another pair that spawns regularly, but this pair is a dud. I have had them in the same tank for about one year now so I think it is time to give up! Yours have not been together for very long so it may be they are immature, could be water. Only time will tell.
Got to love them fish, they are so unpredictable!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Awestralian
How often are they laying?
About every week and 1/2...

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I'm using R/O water. I don't have the KH GH values in front of me, but they did check out normal. And pH is 7.0 to 6.5....

Just got word from a LFS here that we may a pair of lesbian Discus!
:eek:

...Can't believe everything you hear.... :rolleyes:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by scholar
When the male is fed hormones .; He becomes sterile. thsi might be the case. :(
So, does this mean the breeder of the Discus did that over a year ago?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store