Discus fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sportsnutim

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Western Washington
Been awhile since I've been on the site and a few quick questions for someone good with Discus. All my parameters are good in my 55 gal tank: Ammonia 0, Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, and PH is 6.4; live plants and two large pieces of wood. My two Farlowellas are doing great. My six Black Neon Tetras are doing excellent also. I bought one Blue med-large Discus about three days ago I did all that was required to get him/her ready for the tank he did well for the first couple of days hid a few times now he just hangs out under the wood and never comes out. Am I just worrying to much? Or does he need some other discus in the tank? His skin seems fine. Any ideas?

Last edited:

---MR.CLEAN---

Ace Ventura Pet Detective
Sep 4, 2007
Ventura CA
I have never owned Discus before but like most fish they enjoy more of their kind of species with them. For example when I got one Dojo loach he never moved (rarely) later I got one more and they were so happy I got another one and even happier. I would try another discus, and see what happens.

divingne1

AC Members
Jun 15, 2007
Canton, GA
I would add a few more discus. They do better in groups. I had 4 in my tank and one died so I went to the store to get another one. They had one white discus in a tank and it was hiding in the back and wouldn't eat. He was a trade in so the owner of the store gave him to me. I put him in my tank and he was shy the first day and now he is king of the tank. He has even paired up with a female.

Sportsnutim

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Western Washington
Thanks for the ideas

I just turned the 48" single 10k bulb off and he seems to be doing better, swimming around a little more. Too bright maybe: we'll see. I use the bulb for my plants but I beginning to wonder if I need a different system.:confused:

Sportsnutim

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Western Washington
I would add a few more discus. They do better in groups. I had 4 in my tank and one died so I went to the store to get another one. They had one white discus in a tank and it was hiding in the back and wouldn't eat. He was a trade in so the owner of the store gave him to me. I put him in my tank and he was shy the first day and now he is king of the tank. He has even paired up with a female.
My wife is nick-picky and wants only certain vibrant colors. We only have so many places locally to buy them. Western Washington area.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Definitely needs some other discus, maybe some more tetras as dithers. Can you get cardinal tetras? They are a good tankmate for discus.

The lighting should not be an issue once they are settled in. You can see pics of my 40breeder discus tank in my Photobucket page in my signature, well planted and lots of light.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Definitely needs some other discus, maybe some more tetras as dithers. Can you get cardinal tetras? They are a good tankmate for discus.

The lighting should not be an issue once they are settled in. You can see pics of my 40breeder discus tank in my Photobucket page in my signature, well planted and lots of light.
:iagree:

Sportsnutim

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Western Washington
Well.....

Without overcrowding the tank: I already have 2 farlowellas, 6 black neon tetras 1 discus; I would like at least 3 more discus, how many cardinals would you suggest? Any other types? Thanks for the help.:grinyes:

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
What filtration do you have?
What water change schedule?

You don't really have much for a 55 yet. You could do at least the three more discus as well as either adding to the school of black neons or adding another minimum school (6) of cardinals. You may also want to consider a minimum school of cories, sterbai maybe.

divingne1

AC Members
Jun 15, 2007
Canton, GA
What temp is your water? Discus like it around 82-84 degrees. I did a water change and forgot to plug my heater in a few days ago. I didn't notice that the heater wasn't on until I saw all the discus hiding in caves (which is very unlike them) instead of coming up to greet me. They were not happy one bit about my slip-up.

None of my discus are really vibrant colored and I could not turn down a free discus when I was shopping for one anyway. He is white with a small hint of yellow around his fins. He looks like a pearl white in some lights.

Here are some photos

Fish 002.jpg Fish 006.jpg Fish 049.jpg Fish 050.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store