AQUARIUM LIGHT ODYSSEA POWER COMPACT ARE STARTING ON FIRE!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Northernforest

AC Members
Jun 1, 2005
Sterling Hts,MI
www.geocities.com
Man I was getting really excited about getting my new light in tomorrow until I read the link below. It looks like they have started fires. My home is not worth saving $ on a light. So I have decided not to use the light and go with something else. Does anybody have any suggestions for a 48" light that is atleast 250w?:devil::angryfire::mad2::devil::mad2::help:

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=192160

PS: At least I was one reading the stories and not the one writing them.

Digital

IC3D
Nov 18, 2007
Fairfield County, CT
www.ic3d.net
Real Name
Marc Digital
Boy I'm glad I didn't get one a couple months ago!! :T

Sux dude, ebay or craigslist it as mg said.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
When I tried a google search on these lights very few results came back. To me this is a sure sign to stay away.

Q

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
>2 year old link -

I'd hope that they've made improvements since then, I'd inspect it thoroughly to make sure there's no stray plastic shavings or anything else that's going to get excessively hot while lights run, I'd make sure any and all fans work well, I'd make sure that its ballast is located somewhere where it will also get some air circulation, and I'd run it while I'm home and feel its exterior in lots of places after it's been on for a few hours to see if it's getting really hot anywhere (including the power cord). Such caution is warranted with ANY high output lighting fixture as they all get hot. Odyssea is not the only brand I'd be extra cautious with. You generally get what you pay for (DIY people w/ skills excepted).

AquaVu

AC Members
Nov 26, 2007
Bay Area
I think Odyssea got the mesage and I heard they improved a lot since then. Their products are such great bargain it's hard to pass up sometimes. I'd give them a try :)

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
I have two odyssea light fixtures, a 65wx4 and a 65wx2. The fan quit working on the 4 bulb one so my husband took it apart and replaced the wires going to the bulb ends and he put a larger pc fan on the outside of the fixture instead of replacing the tiny ones on the inside of it. This fixture is 3 years old, the 65x2 is about 2 years old and is still working fine..

I reccomend these lights if you are looking for a cheaper solution for your planted tank, just be prepared to replace the fans on it and possibly rewire some connections, including soldering at some point. For 100 dollars shipped, 260 watts of light, 48 inch strip, to me it is worth it.

BTW, I never run any lights, regardless of the brand or type when I no one is home.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
I'd stay away, their products have never been UL listed, which means they have never been tested for safety. They also sell products under another name, to product the main company from lawsuits.

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
Does anybody have any suggestions for a 48" light that is atleast 250w?
Coralife 48" 4x65w Aqualight, Current also makes a 4x65w 48" light, DIY with AHSupply....there's a lot of options, just be sure to look for UL listing.

I think Odyssea got the mesage and I heard they improved a lot since then. Their products are such great bargain it's hard to pass up sometimes. I'd give them a try :)
Yeah man, give 'em a try, if they start a fire, then you know for future reference they aren't good to use. What have you got to lose? :headshake2:

I'd stay away, their products have never been UL listed, which means they have never been tested for safety. They also sell products under another name, to product the main company from lawsuits.
I agree. I've known a couple people locally that have had fires related to Odyessea/Jebo products(one light and one UV Filter), and I've read about several other incidents online.

I'd really steer clear. I know when you see those lights/filters on ebay and they look just like coralife/eheim products but for half the price you want to give them a try, but it's just an itch you need to refuse to scratch.

Never heard of any fires from the filters, but known many people with odyssea/jebo/via aqua filters that have started to leak badly within months.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I only have one jebo fixture, which I bought from aquatraders like 3 years ago. It still works just fine. No issues, no nothing.. It does get pretty warm during the day but then again, so do my current fixtures. Are people saying they have actually caused fires, or are they saying that since they're not UL listed that they may? Has this actually happened to any one?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store