Removal of anemone from rock?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
What is the best way to take an anemone off of live rock? I have read that putting ice on it's foot will make it come off, sliding a credit card under it and blasting it's foot with current. Will a scraper be fine as in the credit card method? Anybody have any other suggestions without hurting it? I want to return my anemones after having gotten feedback on what conditions are most suitable for them and although they seem happy now...I don't know what could become of them in the future so I would rather leave them to a pro to purchase and take care of them hopefully.

RPetty

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
houston, tx.
aim a power head at the anemone and it will detach and move. when you see it trying to move then you can safely remove it from the live rock.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
But its on a rock on the bottom of the aquarium...can I direct water at it's foot with a turkey baster?

RPetty

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
houston, tx.
But its on a rock on the bottom of the aquarium...can I direct water at it's foot with a turkey baster?
i don't think that will work. the water needs to be constant and annoying to the anemone. it moves because it's tired of the water blasting it.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Hmm...well I got the condylactis off so far...he is floating in the sump in an open bag. Tomorrow I want to get the ritteri out...he doesn't move but I hear they are not a good shot in a home aquarium...plus if I want to keep corals I should be anemone free no?

RPetty

AC Members
Oct 14, 2007
houston, tx.
i have corals and a 7" green bubble tip anemone. i just cleared a big spot for the BTA on my live rock and attached him where he couldn't sting my coral. now, he may move and become a problem later... so you just have to keep a sharp eye on them. the trick is making the anemone happy where you want him to be... ie: a good light spot and moderate flow. so far so good for me.:headbang2:

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Well another reason I want to give the ritteri back is that the female clown from my mated pair has become WAY to agressive since its arrival...the male was looking at the anemone from a distance and she swam out, bit his tail and pulled him around for a little while not letting go of him...I am going to opt for a nice torch coral they have at my LFS instead...as for the condy...I don't think it's worth it because it has a history of moving so much. Good luck with your set up! I can always get corals that LOOK like anemones I guess...they don't move which is good. Do anemones and corals co-exist in the same environment in the wild usually?

andy1130

AC Members
Nov 10, 2006
Boston
Yes, corals and anemones share the same reefs, as do many other species that you could not keep together in a tank, the difference is simply the comparatively massive scale of wild reefs vs the small confines of a tank.

blinxxpunk182

I LOVE MY AQUARIUM :)
Nov 9, 2007
Rhode Island
may i suggest doing what i did? rinse off a rubber glove (i say rinse to make sure there is no powder or any substance on it) and put it on. then gently pry it off by using slow motions by moving your hand from side to side. ive tried the powerhead and it did nothing. be sure not to squeeze the anemone though because they can release a goo or gel and it can be bad for the tank and you could also kill him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store