Should I get my krib a wifey?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

trashion

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
I love my krib, Milo. He's colorful, boisterous, and active. However, he's only in a 15-gallon tank, and he harasses his tankmates (6 harlequin rasboras) There are 2 amano shrimp left (as far as I can see, it's heavily planted!) but they managed to hide from him until they got nice and big.

I'm wondering about whether or not I should get him a female. The tank is only 15 gallons and heavily planted, so I'm worried about space. I would probably get rid of the harlequins if I did get a female, because they're already stressed out by Milo. He stalks them from within the rotala, and then rockets out and breaks up the school. I was thinking of getting him a "boo" in exchange for the harlies.

So basically, can a breeding pair of kribs be comfortable in a 15 gallon tank with no other tankmates? (save for my sneaky shrimp)

Second question: I have no idea what I'd do with the fry. I could set up a little 5.5 gallon next to my 15, as a grow-out tank for the fry, but much larger than that isn't really an option. And then what? Should I shop around my LFS's and try to give them my kribs for credit? That would be handy...

Third question:
I've read that female kribs are picky little wenches. How should I go about trying to pair one up with Milo?

trashion

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
...Really? I read up before I purchased, and many websites said a 15 was fine. It's the same footprint as a 20H, just not as tall.

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
no you can keep one krib in a 15. 2 might not be a good idea due to territorial aggression. but what you shouldnt do is keep danios in a 10g not enough space for their active lifestyle @krytan

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
A 5g tank won't be big enough to grow out the babies to sellable size. You'd need a back-up plan for a pair in such a small tank. She's apt to get killed when introduced but if they have babies he could be in trouble. If that's your only tank it'd be a bad idea, 2 20g longs were barely enough IME.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
but what you shouldnt do is keep danios in a 10g not enough space for their active lifestyle @krytan
Didn't know this at the time, lfs said it was fine. They have been there for 3 years now and all seem happy but i have promised my boy a bigger tank after lots of pester power by him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store