Forget the krib. Apistos!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

trashion

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
So as much as it will pain me to get rid of him, I did research and learned that I really ought to get a smaller fish for my 15 gallon. I really love that kribensis, but I cannot keep a 5" fish in a 15 gallon tank.

I'm looking at apistos, because I want a breeding pair of small cichlids. My pH is around 6.8 (lowered from 7.8 with pressurized co2) hardness is moderate. Tank is heavily planted. Can I get a pair of apistos to breed in this environment?

What apisto do you think would do best? Small is good, colorful even better.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
Rams, Apistos, Shellies, Keyhole... all smaller Cichlids that are possibilities for 15g. I'm not sure how easy/difficult any particular one is to breed, but I suspect that any tank bred specimens will be a lot easier to breed than wild ones would be (they're also generally less picky about water conditions & food).

trashion

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
I've read that shellies dig a lot, and like I said, the tank is heavily planted.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Sorry- keyholes don't belong in a 15 gal. They really should have a 3 foot long tank. They grow close to the 5 inch range (males are bigger than females by about an inch at max size) and they need cover in the form of wood and plants to feel safe in their enivironment.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Sorry- keyholes don't belong in a 15 gal. They really should have a 3 foot long tank. They grow close to the 5 inch range (males are bigger than females by about an inch at max size) and they need cover in the form of wood and plants to feel safe in their enivironment.
Shellies arent good with plants.

Rams or apistos would be my choice.

I agree with the above. Check out Apistos (Rams actually are a type of Apisto). There are a ton of varieties, but they are sometimes hard to find and a bit pricey. Your LFS may occasionally have Bolivians, Blues, or Golds, but the best bet for harder to find types will be your local aquaria club or aquabid. I have Gold Rams and Triple Red Cacs in planted tanks with no problems and they are FINALLY starting to court.

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
oops - I thought keyholes stayed smaller

also - best Apistos & blue Rams I've seen were at club auctions

Shelllies may dig, but if you have Anubias & ferns tied to driftwood & well rooted Crypts - they shouldn't be that much of a problem. HC, HM, Glosso etc - yeah, there would be problems...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store