Another rescue....but I know very little about goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Spinner_01

AC Members
Oct 16, 2007
The edge of nowhere
:help: My wife rescued several goldfish from center pieces at a wedding, most of them very small 1-1.5 inch, that look they may have come from a feeder tank and one that looks somewhat like a Black Moor about 3".

On to the problems.... theses poor fish are completely covered in ich, and to make things worse she simply poured the vase into my tropical community tank and filled it back up with water for the flowers. So now I have a WAY over stocked 30 gal ich factory with fish that need different temps.

What I've done... I'm slowly reducing the temp, about a 15% water change and have started a salt treatment. I have a small tank that could temporarly house the goldfish, should I move them again? I was thinking of waiting until the ich problem was resolved rather than stress the fish any further and battle ich in two tanks, but the flip side is the temp issue. 76 is my new target temp is that going to be cool enough for goldfish? If not they will have to endure yet another tank transfer as that is as low as I will go for the safety of my other fish.

Is there anything else that I can do??

Also, I have told my wife that she did the right thing by trying to save the fish and the absolute wrong thing by putting them in that particular tank. And that she is not even allowed to feed the fish until further notice.:wall:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
76 will be fine for the goldfish. Do salt treatment for two weeks. The treatment can work without the temperature being increased.

SanguineApple

AC Members
Feb 3, 2008
Queens, NY
Oh, god. I hate that people do that at weddings. I'm planning my wedding right now and I've seen those posts in wedding communities and advised against it strongly. =(

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
If you have a container that can hold more than 5 gallons you can take the goldfish out and treat them seperately. This will allow you to raise you tropical tank up to 83 or so and knock the ich out faster (hopefully your tropicals aren't as heavily infested yet). Then treat the goldfish at room temperature over a longer period of time.

Only 4 little goldfish will in time need their own 55 gallon to keep them in an aquarium or a 100 gallon pond. So you'll have to tell you wife you need another tank because of her rescue. :) I'm sure you can find a spot for it.

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
What kind of fish are in the 30 now? I think the best thing to do for emergencys is to just buy a tubberware container (decent size) and get a HOB filter and your good to treat them before ick and anything else they have with them spread to your tropicals. If you plan on keeping them though you will need a 55 gallon + eventually.

IKeepPacu

AC Members
Feb 19, 2008
76 should be fine for the goldies. as you said, battle ick in one tank, and not two at once. atleast thats what i would personally do, since their already together.

i had a feeder my oscar decided to not eat out of a few batches. lived in 80* water with him for almost a year before i moved him. he actually grew faster than my other goldfish believe it or not. could have also been that he was eating tons of cichlid sticks.

Spinner_01

AC Members
Oct 16, 2007
The edge of nowhere
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I've decided to keep them in the 30 until all fish look healthy. I'm down to about 78 so a few more tweaks and I should be set at 76. I've pulled out a 20T that I had hiding in the garage that I will start cycling to keep them in until I either find them new homes or they get bigger and then I'll convert my 55 to a cold water tank. By that time I should have the wife convinced to let me build a custom tank :)

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
whoah, hold on now - don't forget that raising the temperature will shorten the ich life cycle and will actually HELP solve your ich problem! so don't try to lower the temp - if anything, raise it! 80-82 is a good range to aim for. remember to raise it slowly, no more than about 3 degrees per 24 hours, and the goldfish will be just fine. good idea to add salt. everything else sounds fine. since the fish are so small, you are in luck, and you will be able to keep them in the 30 gallon for the short run. once they're healthy, start looking for a friend with a big tank or a pond! :)

and remember to thank your wife for rescuing them, even if she made your current fish sick... nightmare situation for you, but fantastic for the little goldies!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store