Pearl Gourami and neons in the same tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
I'd like to have some neon tetras (9 or 10) along with a pair of gourami. Would Pearl Gourami get along (i.e. not eat! :D) neons in the same tank, given that Pearl can get as large as 4-5 inches? Or should I stick with Dwarf Gourami instead? I do have a slight preference towards Pearl over Dwarf. I have 29g tank.

Appreciate any feedback!

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Adult pearls will not eat adult neons. Buy your pearls while they are young and small and buy med/large neons. Adult neons can get up to 1 1/4"...try to get some that are at least 3/4 of an inch.

Rometiklan

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
I've never had problems with Pearl Gouramis getting along with tetras of any kind, or with any other fish for that matter. Pearls are among the most accomodating fish I can think of for a community tank. They are very peaceful, almost shy, and I would have no concerns with placing large adult Pearls with smallish Neons. Some hobbyists will exercise caution with this set-up, but I have come to know Pearls very well as they are among my favourite fish in the hobby. I always have a pair at any given time in one of my tanks. I've never had adult Pearls bother the tetras in my community set-ups, so I can recommend Pearls with Neons with a high degree of confidence.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
My pearls have never gone after any smaller fish they could eat. I put my 1/2 inch baby spiketailed paradise fish in the tank the pearls were (not on purpose...they jumped out of one of those fry raisers that you clip on the side of your tank), the pearl gourami didn't pay any attention to them. I think the neons will be all right... but to be on the safe side, you might want to get smaller pearls.

delmore

AC Members
Dec 2, 2001
New Jersey
www.uaru-forum.com
I have a 20g long community tank with a pair of pearl gouramis and other fish. I added tiny neon tetras - i think they cost .99 each, and the adult pearl gouramis never bothered them. After about a year the neons are still doing great.

The pearl gouramis that I have are shy, and the male is a little high strung. If there are unexpected movements he makes splashing sounds.

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Wow, thank you for all the feedback - now I feel better... :D

Another question - do Pearls nip fins at all? I remember vaguely from somewhere that a male nipped a Platy's fin completely and caused death. I have 3 in my tank and they are my 6 year old's current favourite, so...? :confused:

Rometiklan

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
A Pearl that would nip the fins of a fish to the point of death is highly unusual, in my experience. As I, and others have stated, Pearls are pretty shy fish which keep mainly to themselves and tend to leave other fishes alone. I suppose even amongst shy species, it is possible to have a rogue specimen which will terrorize other fish to get what it wants: more space, more of the food, the available mates, protecting it's territory, etc. However, that is a very rare and extreme situation, and it is highly improbable that you will end up with a Pearl that will be such a holy terror. They aren't fin nippers, and tend to be extremely peaceful.

During a breeding cycle, the beauty of the Pearl is hard to match, especially in the male. They develop a deep coloured body covered in pearly white spots which is probably how the Pearl earned its name. The male develops a firey red/orange thorax/abdomen...very stunning.

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
I think I have that rogue that Rometiklan is talking about, and even he's not a nipper!

I have a pair of pearls in my 30g that peacefully coexist with some loaches, 2 SAEs, and a dozen or so small rasbora and dwarf barbs (neon-sized schoolers).

They use the entire height of the tank, sometimes hide in the shrubbery at back but aren't especially shy and are often found front and center (especially at mealtime). They can be very aggressive towards each other and the curious loaches have taken a blow every know and again for getting to close to the bubblenest, but the little fish are ignored entirely. They're occasionally scattered during a tank length chase, but have come to no harm.

I would avoid housing them with other labyrinth fish, or with other fish that vaguely resemble labyrinths (things like platys, mollys and guppies that have somewhat similarly shaped and flowing fins).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store