Picked to death?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

slicklid

AC Members
Feb 12, 2008
My Cobalt Blue looks like he has been picked **** near to death. His back fins are shredded and he the back side of his body on both sides looks white and raw, almost bloody in a few places. He was just sitting in a plant and won't move, when I netted him to look at him better he swam just fine and if someone comes by and nips him he will swim away, but he just hides and doesn't even try to eat during feedings. What should I do???

Thanks for any advice.

PS: Everyone else in the tank looks fine, no fin damage or ich.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
can you isolate the fish? hospital tank?

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Agreed.... eventually it will die.. if you could pick up a small tank to let him heal up, may be start a new tank,, 45 ?......:)

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
how quickly did this happen, like was he perfectly fine a few hours ago ?

it sounds like he has been badly beaten, but test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate to be sure; just because only one fish is sick does not mean you have an environmental problem.

I would get him in a separate tank asap, or at a push a large breeder net in the main tank where he can recover and you can target feed him etc.

slicklid

AC Members
Feb 12, 2008
It must have happened over night. I just did a 25% water change today, as I do every week. I think he just got his butt kicked, but I don't know who did it. I will get a 10 gallon to go below my tank. What should I do for filtration?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
have you got a spare filter ? he doesn't need anything special for a tank that size with just him in it - any cheap and cheerful internal filter rated for a 10g will be fine.

as the new filter sounds like it won't be established and he's going into a new tank, check parameters (ammonia, nitrite) twice daily.

he will really appreciate a large (30% - 50%) water change done gently daily with a good water conditioner - if you can set that up for him, you'll have him back in shape in no time.

slicklid

AC Members
Feb 12, 2008
I always hear people saying they are setting up small medical tanks with "sponge filters". What are those and are they cheap/reliable for what I need?

slicklid

AC Members
Feb 12, 2008
Do I just buy a little pump and put an air stone in there or what?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store