Snails and Ammonia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
I'm pretty sure I can answer this one myself but wanted to get others to verify as well. Does ammonia have the same affect on snails as fish? The reason I ask is that I am expecting a shippment of MTS in either today or Monday for my problem child tank (has sand) and a 1 reading for ammonia (as most already know). I don't want to put them in the tank if it is going to whack em.

I don't have another tank that I want to put them in temporarily. I do have a planted tank but want to keep it snail free.

thx

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Maybe you could keep the snails in a large jar or plastic box with some plants until the ammonia is under control. I think MTS can handle room temp.

jwddboy

An Oddball Man
Apr 8, 2006
They are without a doubt a lot (LOT) more hardy than most fish.
Snails (normally nerites in my case) are normally the first think I put into a tank as it nears completion of it's cycling process.

If I have snails that I dont have a tank for yet i put them in a net and peg it so they cant get out and then just hang it in another tank.

aquapants

AC Members
Mar 3, 2008
portland, me
My golden apple's shell is very brittle. Do you think that has something to do with the ammonia in our mid-cycle tank?

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
My golden apple's shell is very brittle. Do you think that has something to do with the ammonia in our mid-cycle tank?
Usually this is a calcium deficiency. That being said, mystery/apple snails do not do as well with a cycling tank as the more common snails (MTS, ramshorn, and pond snails). You can either feed calcium rich foods, put cuttlebone in the tank, or dose liquid calcium to help.

For the OP's question, I imagine that mts will do fine. I would do a nice large water change before acclimating them to try and reduce the ammonia. They are very hardy snails from my understanding.

Jordan Walter

Registered Member
Jan 21, 2013
After my fish jumped the tank, I decided to try a cycle.

After putting 1TBS of Miracle-Gro in my 3 gal. tank, the ammonia level stayed at 8+ ppm for more than two weeks.

It's still 8+, but I just noticed 3 baby snails crawling around in there. Go figure... the miracle of life!

jlieu

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
Bowling Green, KY
Common snails like MTS are pretty hardy and tolerable compared to fish IME.

I think you should be fine if you have too; of course it's always recommended to have it cycled before you add livestock. Do you have any old filters you could use to help "seed" the new tank?

In any case, when i start new tanks i usually seed it with an old filter and add snails...lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jayla2251

AC Members
Jul 1, 2012
Wichita, KS
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Jayla
I use MTS to cycle tanks. They are harder to kill than not.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store