Swim Bladder Disease?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

azzoa

AC Members
Sep 28, 2006
Wayne, NJ
One of my clown fish started swimming very funny this week, upside down etc. I've been keeping an eye on it and yesterday noticed a lump on the clowns side. Almost like an air bubble in it belly. I moved it to my qt Tank cause now it started laying on the bottom and other fish were nipping at it. Do you think this is SBD? If so any ideas how to cure this? I've read about feeding them peas??? and not feeding them for a few days to see if that helps????

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
a swim bladder problem is usualy a bacterial infection that causes it to be inflamed. However, it wouldnt really be large enoughf or you to see a lump. ALso, if it were to swell, it would cause the clown to float without being able to sink, not cause him to lay on the bottom. It sounds more like a possible internal parasite to me.
Has he been eating?
is the bump only on one side?

azzoa

AC Members
Sep 28, 2006
Wayne, NJ
Yes the bump is only on one side. All parameters on main tank are fine. Nitrates are a touch high, I did a water change last night to bring them down. He is now in my QT tank the parameters are the same except the nitrates are almost 0. Maybe one of the Maraycin meds will work ? Yes he has been eating. the SG is between 1.023 and 1.022, I use the Instant Ocean Hydrometer to test. Thanks guys for the help.

azzoa

AC Members
Sep 28, 2006
Wayne, NJ
Fishieness, why did you ask if the bump is only on one side? So far I tried 3 different meds and no luck. The fish is amazingly still alive and eating! But lays on the bottom on it's side at all times. It will struggle to swim and get some flakes when I feed it. My LFS reccomended I use T.C. Tetracycline, then I tried Lifeguard by instant Ocean and some stuff called Fungus Eliminator by Jungle. If these meds don't didn't cure it I don't know what will. I so far spent more money on meds then the fish is worth! It's been about 2 weeks now.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Sounds more like a gas problem...literally. It may not be the swim bladder at all. The problem may lie in the digestive tract where the clown couldn't digest something, etc. In any case, it is idd. Have you attempted to feed anything with extra algal/vegetable matter? If, on the other hand, it is damage to the swimbladder (which is also common through physical trauma), then not terribly much can be done.

azzoa

AC Members
Sep 28, 2006
Wayne, NJ
I tried feeding it green peas, i read somwhere that it helps digestion. I agree whatever it is there is probably not much I can do at this piont to help it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store