Repost: Blacklights?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
This question is about a friend's saltwater reef tank (55 gallon).
He wants to add a Blacklight to the Power Compacts which are 2 - 8800K and 2 - Actinics.

Will the Blacklight damage the corals? Do Blacklights come in different wattages? Will it enhance the look, or colors of the corals?

Ths main thing, ...is it safe?

Hebdizzle

playswithsquirrels
Mar 8, 2003
Do Blacklights come in different wattages?

-only based on the length of the bulb

Will it enhance the look, or colors of the corals?

-many people don't use them continuously, usually in the dawn and dusk periods. It can cause some corals to "glow", other ones will not be affected. I don't believe it affects the corals long-term colors (only while it is under the light)

Ths main thing, ...is it safe?

-the main debate behind blacklights is the UV radiation it gives off. It odviously gives enough to be an issue, but not nearly as much as metal halide, or like lights. There are special panes of glass that can be bought to absorb or reflect (im not sure which)the radiation to make it "more" safe. I personally think it is safe.

Aaron

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Thanks..

Open to more replies..

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
courtesy of frick-n-frags
Let's talk about flourescent lights.

Basically, it is a tube of mercury vapor than gets ionozed by a voltage and electrons get knocked out of orbit. When these electrons drop back into orbit, they release a photon of a specific energy. Each element(like mercury,sodium,oxygyn, neon, whatever) has a specific pattern of light frequencies(the higher the freq, the higher the energy,and the more destructive it can be). So UV is more energetic than purple and way more than red.

Anyway, flourescent lights typically make use of the certain pattern of light from mercury because it puts out mostly UV that can flouresce phosphors painted on the inside of the tube. This is why flours come in a bazillion colors. You get out your glow paints and mix up whatever you want.

The only bulb that does not make use of this coating is the black light. This uses a type of glass as a lowpass filter. This means that light of a certain frequency and LOWER gets through, the rest gets blocked, no phosphors, just sunglasses, if you will. ONLY near UV gets through. These are safe for humans and absolutely safe for corals. The UV in sunlight is far more dangerous than what gets out of a blacklight, and next to actinic blue light, near UV light penetrates the deepest into the ocean. Life evolved with a strong component of near UV in its light since day one!

If you break the outer glass on a MH bulb, now you have lethal UV. Your skin burns in seconds as those blistering photons, really cranked up, just shred the wimpy organic bonds in your skin and disrupt(mutate) your DNA as they rocket through.

courtesy of Eric Borneman
I don't know what size blacklight you are using, but it may not even be putting out much UV....also, the blacklight blue and blacklight white are two different bulbs - one is sort of an actinic, the other clearly the halloween or nightclub type...There's not much irradiance coming from them...some, but not a ton. That's why it takes about 30 of the VHO varieties in a suntan bed for you to get a tan with them pressed right up against your skin...a blacklight bulb through tank water is probably virtually non-existent and probably less than the amount coming off a metal halide...I'd think, anyway. The color is the glass coating, not actually UV color, of course.

Red light is better for night simulation, but also that applies to nocturnal animals, and I'm not sure if photosynthetic organisms would feel the same.

So, I'm not sure why the feeding response under black light. Maybe cause they think its daytime, maybe cause they think its nighttime. Without any data on that bulb, its hard to say.
No one is suggesting using them as a night light. I am commenting about the levels of UV. The little party blacklight bulbs put of a trivial amount of UV - barely enough to even make fluorescent things glow. The fluorescent blacklight fixtures put out more, but even a 48" tube is not much. Remember, the public buys these. If you put your arm under a metal halide for awhile, you'll get a sunburn. See how long you have to keep it in front of a 48" blacklight to get a sunburn...much less an 18" blacklight...I'll be whistling in the meantime.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store