brand new

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hunter

AC Members
Aug 6, 2003
GA
Visit site
Hey all. New to the site and to fish. I would appreciate hearing from everyone about this.

Just bought a new 55 gallon tank along with

1 red devil, 1 jack dempsey, 1 green terror and 1 tiger oscar.

all the fish are around 2 inches and the tiger oscar is around 3 inches. I also have 1 guppy and 1 small tetra (used to be 2 :)

I have a few questions.......

1. all my fish are afraid of me , whenever i walk up to the tank, they hide behind rocks and come out when i leave, I've had them for about 2 days now. Is this normal? Will it change?

2. How often should I feed them?

3. Will they ever eat the stupid guppy?

4. any other suggestions or comments would be appreciated

DarthV

AC Members
Feb 20, 2003
Fredericton, NB
Visit site
Well I do have some bad news for you, you're going to have to cut back on some of your fish or they will do it for you. An oscar by itself will need at least a 55gal tank...same for the red devil or the green terror. Once your red devil hits about 5-6", everything else in the tank will be dead... devils are very nasty fish! The only combo I can think of for that tank is maybe the jack dempsey and green terror if they are both female...and that is with a very robust filtration system and a very good water maintenance routine.

1. most cichlids are pretty skittish while young and even more so when they are moved into an environment. They should become less spooked in a week or so.

2. I feed my smaller cichlids 3 times a day...enough each time so that they can eat all the food in 30-45secs or so.

3. I'd be surprised if the guppy and tetra live out the week.

Hunter

AC Members
Aug 6, 2003
GA
Visit site
thanks for the reply! i figured the tank was small for the 4 fish. Unfortunatly...people at petsmart don't know sh*t.

The red devil is the most curious and interesting fish and sometimes picks fights, but the JD fought with him, and the red devil actually retreated..

My plan is to sell them when they become big and start over..

What should I feed them? I have blood worms/ pellets and can buy live feeder fish...whats best?

My plan is not to let them get huge. so ill sell them once they get around 5 inches.

Any thoughts?

also , what type of fish do u have?

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
1. its normal, be patient

2. thats pretty much up to you. my bro feeds his fish 3 times a day, i feed mine once. no more than 3 times though.

3. yes, im surprised its not already gone.

4. ok, you got some work to do. there is no way a green terror, red devil, jack dempsey and a tiger oscar will last in that tank. in fact, each one of those fish should be housed in a bigger tank alone. you need to get rid of the red devil and tiger oscar for sure. oscar gets way to big, red devil gets way too mean. it will destroy the fish you have with it. if i were you, i would get rid of all of your fish, take them to the lfs. either get smaller american cichlids (firemouths, convicts, rainbow, ect), community fish (tetras, danios, ect), or africans. you may (if you want) could keep either the green terror or jack dempsey. you would have to keep the green terror alone most likely, but you could probably keep the jd (jack dempsey) with some other stuff. but since you are a begginer, i would take them all back.

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
i didnt see Darth reply, must of did it while i was typing.

Hunter,

sorry to say this, but i doubt they last until they get 5 inches. the red devil might just kill them all at any time, especially if he grows faster than the gt and jd. the jd backing done the red devil is a fluke. it wont happen for long. red devils are mean as heck. plus, you wont get hardly anything for them. just sell them now and save yourself the money spent on food.

Hunter

AC Members
Aug 6, 2003
GA
Visit site
well ****, sounds like i f'ed up:) I still love them all!

The red devil is the smallest fish of all, i did that b/c i had heard of how mean they are. I mean right now, the oscar is the only fish who has even chased the guppy....

I know this sounds stupid, but in order of aggression and ability to win a fight, what is the order of my fish?

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
Welcome to AC Hunter! Where in GA are you? I can recommend some stores that will give you better advice and hopefully help you out a little.

If I were you I would skip the grow em and sell em idea. First off they aren't "worth" anything. You will spend more on food than you will get selling your fish. You need to have a rare or wild fish to get some money for it.

As previously stated your tank is, well, a disaster waiting to happen. If I could venture a guess I would say keep the red devil and return the other fish. Feed him pellet staple with a mix of frozen blood worm, mysis and formula two (pm me I'll tell you where to get it if your in ATL) with some spinach and romaine mixed in. Give him some ghost shrimp once a week and kick down the twenty bucks to get a ten gallon quarantine tank set up for some feeder fish. HTH.

Hunter

AC Members
Aug 6, 2003
GA
Visit site
I am in Smyrna ...Thanks for the welcome...

The fish i considered having only one of was either a tilapia buter.....i cant spell it....or the red devil.

I will definetly stick with the cichlids

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
Both are cichlids.

Try taking back all of your fish. Don't ask for money. Keep the Devil. Add five giant danios. In three days I think you will see the true power of these fish. PM me I'll give you some stores.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store